Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Raddy Distance/Online Maths in the UK - 01/01/12 09:52 AM
What are UK parents using or recommending for online courses - especially Science & Maths (KS3 and up)
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Distance/Online Maths in the UK - 01/01/12 11:48 AM
Nothing British! Currently Alcumus and the eIMACS AP calculus prep course; earlier ALEKS. Ours is just for extras; are you looking for a main syllabus for homeschooling? I don't know anything online that ends up at any of the British exams, I'm afraid.
Posted By: Raddy Re: Distance/Online Maths in the UK - 01/01/12 12:59 PM
Hi again ColinsMum

Looking for general stuff really, to give some structure to the curriculum for him. Maybe we will just have to work through the GSP books and supplement with what we can find (KhanAcademy on Youtube for example).

Any idea where you can get hold of worksheets suitable for years 7 - 11?
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Distance/Online Maths in the UK - 01/01/12 01:17 PM
GSP? Don't recognise that, sorry.

I don't know a good source of worksheets but I think I wouldn't expect to at that level - seems to me that maths at that level has a higher explanation-to-routine-exercise ratio than earlier, and therefore you're more in the zone where textbooks are appropriate. I can mildly recommend the Collins Cambridge IGCSE book, and then all the Bostock and Chandler ones for A level stuff.

Ah, come to think of it, you might like to look at Manga High. It totally annoyed me by taking away the nice interface for topic choosing from people with the kind of registration I had, but I think you could register as a "school" and get access to it. The "Prodigi" quizzes on particular topics are quite nice provided you have a way to pick topics that are really appropriate for your child, and there are a lot of them.
Posted By: aculady Re: Distance/Online Maths in the UK - 01/01/12 02:48 PM
Not worksheets, exactly, but the BBC Schools site has games, exercises, and exam review for many different age/grade levels.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Distance/Online Maths in the UK - 01/01/12 04:23 PM
(I can only pass on what I know about math resources.) Someone at a homeschooling website recommended the Mathematics Enhancement Programme. I checked it out and it seems good for enrichment/practice. For actual worksheets and problems, you might like the Singapore Math workbooks and Challenging Word Problems / Intensive Practice. The workbooks aren't as dreadful as they may sound-- they actually seem to shake it up quite a bit with different sorts of games and puzzles (I didn't realize this until just recently when someone recommended them, as I'd never cracked them open since DS seems not to do as well with a lot of drill).

IXL and ALEKS might suit your son well too, for online resources; IXL is just for skills practice but is quite well suited to a kid who likes to skip around and doesn't need practice in everything. And, of course, EPGY might be an option; I'm not aware of any restriction on UK people if you sign up through the open enrollment option.

ETA: yvonnemommy wrote today in another thread, "DD has been using math pro on beestar. It offers online math worksheets. You can have your kid try the Gifted Talented Math."
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum