Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #118559 12/20/11 05:11 PM
    OP Offline
    http://www.educationaloptions.com/resources/resources_gifted_adults.php

An online paper by Dr Ruff explaining why the gifted label matters to the emotional needs of a child, and it's not snobbery.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by The link.
    I was aware of being the smartest person in the class in first grade, but even then I suspected that I was not really bright but that the others were very slow. [By the 4th grade she was so widely read that] I did not realize then why I felt left out and thought it was due to some personality flaw. I often thought that I was really stupid because I couldn't understand why teachers taught things that I thought were obvious. I thought the other children were smarter because they saw complexities that I now know never existed. I had a hard time understanding other children. It never occurred to me that I felt different because I was ahead of them intellectually. For example, in class they would ask questions about what the teacher was saying. I thought what the teacher was saying was so obvious that it needed no explanation - yet there were kids who kept asking for more explanations. Instead of realizing I had grasped the concepts quickly or knew them already, I thought I was missing some subtle point that confused others and I was too dense to even see it!

I remember that thought.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    I have memories of getting the answers to questions wrong in various classes, because I assumed there was some complexity there that I must not be grasping... Lol, nope. The questions were just that simple. Dum de dum.

~amy
    D
    D
    I never asked a question once in school. In the beginning I knew everything or understood it the first time it was explained. Later I had faith that if I didn't understand the first explanation, that other students would ask the questions I needed, and they always did ... until college.

By that time I couldn't bring myself to raise my hand and admit that I was confused, and I didn't want to slow the other students down the way my learning had been slowed for so many years. I really made things a lot harder on myself than they needed to be.

I hope to prevent my children from falling into such a trap, even if I have to convince them to ask questions they already know the answers to... just for practice. Of course, the issue may not come up if they are grouped with intellectual peers from an early age, with instruction at an appropriate level.

I
    I
    My mom tells stories of me coming home from first and second grade asking her why the other children were so dumb... and why couldn't they read well? So... I did ask the question.

I was the kind of child that always said what I was thinking. I highly valued the truth and thought I needed to make sure I said it, even if I should have kept my mouth shut. I wasn't very popular. wink

Last edited by islandofapples; 12/20/11 10:55 PM.
    Oh yes, I know that feeling, I had both sides of the coin at different times for different subjects.

I do think children see difference, even if nobody says a thing!

K
    K
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Originally Posted by The link.
    I was aware of being the smartest person in the class in first grade, but even then I suspected that I was not really bright but that the others were very slow. [By the 4th grade she was so widely read that] I did not realize then why I felt left out and thought it was due to some personality flaw. I often thought that I was really stupid because I couldn't understand why teachers taught things that I thought were obvious. I thought the other children were smarter because they saw complexities that I now know never existed. I had a hard time understanding other children. It never occurred to me that I felt different because I was ahead of them intellectually. For example, in class they would ask questions about what the teacher was saying. I thought what the teacher was saying was so obvious that it needed no explanation - yet there were kids who kept asking for more explanations. Instead of realizing I had grasped the concepts quickly or knew them already, I thought I was missing some subtle point that confused others and I was too dense to even see it!

I remember that thought.

Wow - this was my childhood too. I seriously thought something was wrong with me for years. There was nothing in terms of GT ID where I went to school.

M
    M
    I remember never being able to relate well to my classmates until college. I thought I was not cool, or didn't fit in, all the painful early adolescent things that girls go through to some extent... However, I remember having a distinct sense that I didn't fit. That IQ talk would have really benefited me at age twelve, when I didn't care about all the things that the other girls cared about (cheerleading, boys, etc.) I tried to force myself to be like them. I never felt comfortable in my own skin. I hope that knowing about their giftedness will help my girls to be themselves and not try to fit into the mold!

A
    A
    I am not gifted. I live with children and a spouse who are all gifted.

I cannot tell you how eye-opening this article was for me. I have spent a good deal of the past two and a half decades often being on the receiving end of a spouse or children who were frustrated and even at times disdainful that I couldn't grasp something as quickly as they did. All too often, I've heard from my spouse, "Come on. It's not that hard. I know you can do better than that."

I have always blamed it on a sense of superiority, but it was a real revelation that, in fact, it has likely stemmed from the belief that he was normal, so I ought to be able to be "normal", too.

With our children, we shared with them the results of their IQ tests, and I've had many a conversation with them over the years about being patient with others, finding ways to connect with peers, and that their IQ was only one part of who they were, not the defining characteristic that meant they had to do better, be better, or be judged on their capabilities for all things. I tried to make sure they knew they were loved and accepted.

Thanks for sharing!

C
    C
    I was painfully aware that I was "smart," from my own observations, from my family continually saying it, and from having my IQ score shared with me at some point. What I didn't understand was how that contributed to my difficulty connecting with kids my age socially. I've come to understand that through this forum, and it's helping me be a better parent.

This article was a bit of an eye opener for me in my adult work life. There are lots of processes that people tend to talk in circles around in my work, and in most cases, they seem fairly linear and easy to break down to me. I've always thought I was missing something more subtle that others understood. I guess I should stop looking for subtleties that don't exist!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM