Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: La Texican Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 12:11 AM
http://www.educationaloptions.com/resources/resources_gifted_adults.php

An online paper by Dr Ruff explaining why the gifted label matters to the emotional needs of a child, and it's not snobbery.
Posted By: La Texican Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by The link.
I was aware of being the smartest person in the class in first grade, but even then I suspected that I was not really bright but that the others were very slow. [By the 4th grade she was so widely read that] I did not realize then why I felt left out and thought it was due to some personality flaw. I often thought that I was really stupid because I couldn't understand why teachers taught things that I thought were obvious. I thought the other children were smarter because they saw complexities that I now know never existed. I had a hard time understanding other children. It never occurred to me that I felt different because I was ahead of them intellectually. For example, in class they would ask questions about what the teacher was saying. I thought what the teacher was saying was so obvious that it needed no explanation - yet there were kids who kept asking for more explanations. Instead of realizing I had grasped the concepts quickly or knew them already, I thought I was missing some subtle point that confused others and I was too dense to even see it!

I remember that thought.
Posted By: epoh Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 02:43 AM
I have memories of getting the answers to questions wrong in various classes, because I assumed there was some complexity there that I must not be grasping... Lol, nope. The questions were just that simple. Dum de dum.
Posted By: DAD22 Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 04:33 AM
I never asked a question once in school. In the beginning I knew everything or understood it the first time it was explained. Later I had faith that if I didn't understand the first explanation, that other students would ask the questions I needed, and they always did ... until college.

By that time I couldn't bring myself to raise my hand and admit that I was confused, and I didn't want to slow the other students down the way my learning had been slowed for so many years. I really made things a lot harder on myself than they needed to be.

I hope to prevent my children from falling into such a trap, even if I have to convince them to ask questions they already know the answers to... just for practice. Of course, the issue may not come up if they are grouped with intellectual peers from an early age, with instruction at an appropriate level.
Posted By: islandofapples Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 05:53 AM
My mom tells stories of me coming home from first and second grade asking her why the other children were so dumb... and why couldn't they read well? So... I did ask the question.

I was the kind of child that always said what I was thinking. I highly valued the truth and thought I needed to make sure I said it, even if I should have kept my mouth shut. I wasn't very popular. wink
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 11:10 AM
Oh yes, I know that feeling, I had both sides of the coin at different times for different subjects.

I do think children see difference, even if nobody says a thing!
Posted By: kimck Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by La Texican
Originally Posted by The link.
I was aware of being the smartest person in the class in first grade, but even then I suspected that I was not really bright but that the others were very slow. [By the 4th grade she was so widely read that] I did not realize then why I felt left out and thought it was due to some personality flaw. I often thought that I was really stupid because I couldn't understand why teachers taught things that I thought were obvious. I thought the other children were smarter because they saw complexities that I now know never existed. I had a hard time understanding other children. It never occurred to me that I felt different because I was ahead of them intellectually. For example, in class they would ask questions about what the teacher was saying. I thought what the teacher was saying was so obvious that it needed no explanation - yet there were kids who kept asking for more explanations. Instead of realizing I had grasped the concepts quickly or knew them already, I thought I was missing some subtle point that confused others and I was too dense to even see it!

I remember that thought.

Wow - this was my childhood too. I seriously thought something was wrong with me for years. There was nothing in terms of GT ID where I went to school.
Posted By: Momtogirls Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 02:40 PM
I remember never being able to relate well to my classmates until college. I thought I was not cool, or didn't fit in, all the painful early adolescent things that girls go through to some extent... However, I remember having a distinct sense that I didn't fit. That IQ talk would have really benefited me at age twelve, when I didn't care about all the things that the other girls cared about (cheerleading, boys, etc.) I tried to force myself to be like them. I never felt comfortable in my own skin. I hope that knowing about their giftedness will help my girls to be themselves and not try to fit into the mold!
Posted By: ABQMom Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 03:24 PM
I am not gifted. I live with children and a spouse who are all gifted.

I cannot tell you how eye-opening this article was for me. I have spent a good deal of the past two and a half decades often being on the receiving end of a spouse or children who were frustrated and even at times disdainful that I couldn't grasp something as quickly as they did. All too often, I've heard from my spouse, "Come on. It's not that hard. I know you can do better than that."

I have always blamed it on a sense of superiority, but it was a real revelation that, in fact, it has likely stemmed from the belief that he was normal, so I ought to be able to be "normal", too.

With our children, we shared with them the results of their IQ tests, and I've had many a conversation with them over the years about being patient with others, finding ways to connect with peers, and that their IQ was only one part of who they were, not the defining characteristic that meant they had to do better, be better, or be judged on their capabilities for all things. I tried to make sure they knew they were loved and accepted.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Coll Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 03:47 PM
I was painfully aware that I was "smart," from my own observations, from my family continually saying it, and from having my IQ score shared with me at some point. What I didn't understand was how that contributed to my difficulty connecting with kids my age socially. I've come to understand that through this forum, and it's helping me be a better parent.

This article was a bit of an eye opener for me in my adult work life. There are lots of processes that people tend to talk in circles around in my work, and in most cases, they seem fairly linear and easy to break down to me. I've always thought I was missing something more subtle that others understood. I guess I should stop looking for subtleties that don't exist!
Posted By: MegMeg Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 04:03 PM
Ha! I remember reading a Highlights Magazine bit where there was a picture of a dog trotting and a dog galloping, and it asked, "Which dog is going faster? How can you tell?" I seriously thought they wanted a biomechanical explanation, and I felt stupid!

One day as a young adult, I idly worked out the biomechanical explanation in my head (opposing front legs vs. back legs gives a longer stride than opposing left legs vs. right legs, which makes a gallop a more efficient gait). And THEN I realized that Highlights Magazine just wanted an answer like "because of the legs." LOL!
Posted By: Dude Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 04:31 PM
I never thought of myself as exceptional, I thought of myself as normal. When you think exceptional is normal, then normal looks pretty stupid. It didn't do a lot for building respect for peers.

I still have a very clear memory of my first reading group session in first grade, because the experience was like water torture to the ears. It didn't help that I'd already read this very reading book from cover to cover one morning two years ago, when my older brother had forgotten it on the coffee table. I sat there listening to five kids stammering endlessly over "the" and "and," and I thought, "Are you kidding me?" When I was finally called on, my reading dripped with scorn, and my teacher got this look that said, "Omigod, what am I going to do with this one?"

I was shipped off to a 2nd grade class for reading and spelling every morning, until someone put together a 1st-2nd combo class and I was sent there. And that was the only intervention I received in 7 long years (K-6) of painfully excruciating elementary school. We moved and I changed schools for 2nd grade.
Posted By: SiaSL Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 04:42 PM

I might be suffering from the same kind of blinders described in the article/underlined by ABQMom (I think we all like to think we are normal, or rather the lazy proposition is to assume people think the way you do) but:

they wanted to be loved for who they were and not what they could do; they wanted intelligent teachers who understood how to really teach and go at the student's pace; they wanted to be surrounded by age-mates and adults who appreciated them the way they were, understood them, and cared about them.

Duh?

I had the same reaction to an article posted a while back about managing bright people. I mean, isn't treating other people with respect something that works with everybody, not those who make the cutoff of a standard score of 130 on an IQ test?

Posted By: aculady Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by SiaSL
I had the same reaction to an article posted a while back about managing bright people. I mean, isn't treating other people with respect something that works with everybody, not those who make the cutoff of a standard score of 130 on an IQ test?

Yes, but in order to treat everyone respectfully, you have to understand what respect for that person looks like. It would, for example, be disrespectful to expect average employees who might need a lot of direction to accomplish their work well to function under the same loose guidelines and autonomous working conditions that you might rightly give someone who was working creatively at the cutting edge of their field, just as it would be disrespectful to expect the creative innovator to work under the close management supervision of someone who might not even be able to understand their work or its greater implications. The key is to understand that individuals vary greatly in how they think and what they need, and then act on that individualized understanding...but that understanding is often precisely what is lacking.
Posted By: RobotMom Re: Giftedness matters - 12/21/11 07:35 PM
I remember thinking these same tings when I was growing up too, and getting that sort of "duh" reaction from my older brother (probably PG) when I needed more explanation for things than he did.
We have had many discussions with DD8 about the rate at which she learns and how many times there will be others who need more explanation than her before they get a topic. It hasn't always translated into understanding however. She still has days when she gets very frustrated about trying to find some deeper meaning in a really simple question or instruction.
We have had to work on how she reacts to others who ask for more explanation too. (Think exasperation at the "stupidity" of the questions crazy )
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum