Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm just wondering if anyone has used k12 and been disappointed. This is our second year in a k12 charter and, sadly, we're not impressed. The program seemed to be OK last year - DS was challenged and learned a lot more than he had in the B&M school the year prior. Naturally, we decided to stick with what was working. However, this year has been just awful - due in large part to the 'charter part'.

While looking for something different, we've come across some other online schools/curricula and in taking the grade level math test for one, DS definitely didn't match up. I'm confused because DS is breezing through his k12 math this year and also the state assessments. The state we're in isn't a top achiever, by any means, but how can there be such a drastic difference in DSs performance with k12 and the state assessments compared to the comparable class with another school/curriculum??

I'm venting more than anything really, but I do wonder if there's something I'm missing. I'd always heard such great things about k12, but it seems to be lacking, in this case.

Does anyone have any feedback on k12 compared to other curricula you've used or looked into? Btw, I'm not intending to bash k12 - we were very impressed in the beginning and still like many aspects of it, but this thing with the math has me puzzled.

C
    C
    We are using k12 again for the 2nd year. We've had no concerns so far but we are only in 1st and 2nd so not sure which grade you are using.

My son is just finishing up the 4th grade math and will be starting 5th grade. I do feel the lower grades K-1 at least seem to be easy but then again I have never seen what 1st grade math was like in the b&m school so I have nothing to go on really.

Are with with a state virtual charter or a smaller one? I've heard some places are horrible but I know we've had no issues or concerns so far. I think my son is even getting closer to a point where he's actually learning something new!

S
    S
    What grades are you talking about? I did 1-4 and two in a charter and two as a homeschooler who just bought some of the curriculum. Much happier as a consumer

There are k12 yahoo groups where you can get information.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for the replies.

DS is in 7th grade (math is Pre-Algebra), and in a smaller charter. I've heard that many folks are much happier using the program independently as opposed to the charter/virtual academies. Certainly, the larger part of our frustration is with the local level school, but we're...puzzled(?) about his flying through the first semester of the k12 math with minimal effort, yet encountering concepts on another assessment that he's not yet seen in his current course.

Perhaps it's just a difference in curriculum or the definition of "Pre-Algebra"...

M
    M
    My son was always homeschooled and when he was almost 8 we started him in k12.com at the 3rd grade level. Since he was homeschooled we allowed him to progress through the classes at different rates based on his likes or dislikes. He took the entire recommended curriculum from 3rd through 8th grade in 4 years, going year round, supplemented by courses at EPGY and CTY. We liked the program and wanted to continue high school but couldn't afford k12.com nor could we afford EPGY or CTY.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations