Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #117438 12/02/11 02:31 PM
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I'm looking for advice on how to help my son learn to ride a bike. (11 years old, dysgraphia, motor coordination issues)

To be honest, I care a lot more about it than he does. He says he can die a happy old man without learning to ride a bike, but I keep thinking that with each new challenge he's mastered (like tying his shoes, zipping zippers, etc.), it's made marked improvements in other areas.

We tried training wheels when he was younger, but pushing the pedals was too difficult at that age. Now he cares what his peers think and won't let me put training wheels on a bike that fits him. We've tried the running beside him holding the bike, but it's like he can't engage his core stomach muscles to help hold the bike up.

Any tips that made it easier to help an older child ride a bike? We're thinking of getting him a more expensive, lighter bike that won't be so heavy to hold up, but I also don't want it to be a bad experience for him either.

Sometimes it helps to let them practice riding on the grass in the backyard. It's slightly slower and requires slightly more strength to push, but the slower speed allows them to concentrate a bit more on the movements and, if a fall happens, it doesn't hurt. Also, backyards tend to be more private.

Another tip would be to hold on the the back of his shirt or jacket rather than the back of the bike. This allows him to balance himself more -- and to feel what that feels like -- but is at a better height for you so you're not braking your back running along behind him bent over towards the seat.

Also, a flat, straight, private bike trail is a good bet. And, if he's worried about falling or stopping, then long pants and knee and wrist pads can help alleviate some of that fear.

Good luck!

She thought she could, so she did.
    P
    P
    I have no idea how my DS9 managed to learn. He has been riding a bike for about 3 years now.....amazing considering that he was entirely incapable of even balancing on 1 leg for 5 seconds when he was diagnosed with SPD 18 months ago.

Is your DS in O.T.? It has worked wonders for my DS.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    We've tried the running beside him holding the bike, but it's like he can't engage his core stomach muscles to help hold the bike up.

Any tips that made it easier to help an older child ride a bike? We're thinking of getting him a more expensive, lighter bike that won't be so heavy to hold up, but I also don't want it to be a bad experience for him either.
    Mmm, any reason for making the connection with stomach muscles? I thought that sounded odd from my experience - that is, I don't think stomach muscles have any role to play in bike riding - and tried it on DH, a keen cyclist, who also thinks it sounds unlikely. We don't think you do use those muscles to hold the bike up. (I'm sure they're used a bit just because they're used a bit in anything that involves adjustment, but I'd be surprised if they're used more in recreational cycling than in walking.) Therefore, I think going for a lighter bike probably wouldn't help - unless of course the new bike is a motivator!

When DS learned to ride a bike, he found it much easier to go downhill at first. We have a gently sloping path nearby, and I remember him riding the bike down the path, mostly freewheeling and then gradually doing a little more pedaling, and then pushing the bike up the path (or getting one of us to do that for him!) many times. It was a little longer before he could ride on the flat and then a little longer again before he could go uphill. I think it was partly that going downhill, if he wobbled he could stop pedaling for a moment but would keep going and get his balance back, whereas on the flat or uphill if your reaction to wobbling is to stop pedaling you're toast! Once he was comfortable with balancing and pedaling at the same time, he could put it together and keep going enough to do it on the flat and uphill.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    DD9 has only been riding a bike for the past year... and not that great, judging by the amount of time she spends falling into ditches, LOL!

Here is what finally worked:

Lower bike seat until both feet can touch flat on the ground - it's easier to catch themselves when they lose their balance and helps them feel more in control, also easier to start off

Practice on the grass - a softer surface to land on

Practice pushing off and coasting first - don't add pedaling until they have their balance

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    C
    C
    maybe rent a tandem bike for weekend to get used to the sensation on the back and then try a regular bike.

We used one of these trailer bikes for my daughter who was afraid to learn > http://www.amazon.com/WeeRide-96455..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322865004&sr=8-1

Good luck

Philip Stone
    M
    M
    You won't get a float bike in his size but you can still take the pedals off the bike he has. Once he can balance and steer without pedals put them back on. You want long stretches to practice on, ideally gently sloped grass then faster downhill surfaces. If he is embassased to remove the pedals then leave them on and get him to just not use them for awhile.

My DD was nearly 5 when she got her float bike, she rode it sans pedals for at least 9 months (anxiety at play) and then went straight to riding it just fine. She had a few dramas learning to correctly position the pedals before she tried to get started but could balance, pedal and steer from the get go. She needed a new bike within a week or two of using pedals as the float bike had short cranks and no gears and she could not go fast enough to keep up on family rides, which she was instantly ready for.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for all the advice.

Ok. To be ignorant, what is a float bike?

N
    N
    My son kind of learned when he was 7 - he managed to go a few yards, and considered himself done. He tried again a few months later, but couldn't do it. He really had no interest in learning, though. What worked for him was a scooter, this past summer (when he turned 8) - at first he was very hesitant on the scooter, too, but he actually enjoyed it, so gained confidence with the balancing. After using the scooter over the summer, going faster and faster, I persuaded him to give the bike another try. Lo and behold, he got on and rode it straight away without a problem smile

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    We HAVE a scooter. When the doctor clears him (recovering from broken leg) in a month for full activity, I may encourage him to start using the scooter. Not un-cool, so he may be more willing to try it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM