Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #116825 11/22/11 10:27 AM
    S
    sher Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi everyone~

I have recently found this forum and in reading your posts, have been doing a lot of thinking about DS's strengths and weaknesses.

If you have a dyslexic child, how are they impacted? Just curious because as I think about DS's reading skills, there are some areas where he is stronger than others. He is not uniformly struggling with all reading-related tasks. Wondering if this is typical and what others have experienced.

For example. DS has wonderful comprehension when read to. He has always done well with sight words. This year he is doing well with second grade word study, where he can memorize individual words, and read/spell them. He has always known letter sounds and could easily rhyme sounds and words.

The part he really struggles with is fluency. Like reading a string of words or longer passage. Even if it is "easy" sight words he knows. He also struggles with decoding, not so much of a single word, but in a sentence or passage.

I'm just curious if this sounds familiar to other parents with Dyslexic children? Thank you for reading.

With DD9, her stuggles really began to be apparent in third grade. She cannot decode words, she cannot sound any word out and she struggles with rhyming. Her spelling is atrocious and she makes classic dyslexic reversals (b and d, most notably). She reads well above grade level when she is reading novels and long passages where it is okay if she just skips by the words that she does not know. In an isolated sentence or test questions, her difficulties are blazingly obvious. Her memory has enabled her to memorize thousands of words, yet she does not 'read' them in the classic sense... she recognizes their shape instead.

In my reading on the subject, it seems that there can be differing presentations of strengths and weaknesses within the disorder, but that there are hallmark symptoms. Two resources that I HIGHLY recommend:

http://www.brightsolutions.us/
    Take the time and watch these videos!!

Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz
    The best book about dyslexia that I found thus far.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    A
    A
    The combination you are describing, good phonological processing, ability to sound out individual novel words without context, but difficulties with fluency, sounds a lot like either problems with visual processing or with tracking and convergence. That's where I'd start investigating if this were my child (since this was part of how my son's visual issues manifested.)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations