Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 334 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Another option for IQ testing:

Tandra L. Tyler-Wood, Ph.D. at UNT administers the WISC for $250.

Associate Professor
    Learning Technologies
    G-155 Discovery Park
    University of North Texas
    Office: 940-565-2959

Duke TIP is another talent search agency for TX, beginning in fourth grade, so your daughter is a litte young for that. For future reference, see http://www.tip.duke.edu/ Duke accepts Cogat and ITBS at 95% and above.

Hope it all works out.

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    Originally Posted by mygirlrocks
    so overall I 'm unhappy with a school GT program and that's why I 'm trying her for a Davidson Institute.
    I think applying to Davidson is a great idea, but I don't have a clear picture exactly what you are hoping it will do for you. They have a lot of benifits, but in the end, every child is different and has unique needed.

So the Gifted Pull out is giving an emotional/social boost, but between it and the regular program something is lacking and you feel the need to supliment at home. Suplimenting at home works well for some families, and we have tons of idea if you need them.

Another approach that work well for some families is to request a full grade skip plus the 1 hour pull out, so that the child is getting used to the idea that school is for learning, and also that idea that sometimes learning take a bit of time/struggle/engagement. (Can you tell I like this sort of thing? I do!)

Part way in the middle is to ask for your child to go up a grade (or two if needed) for certian subjects.

Starting with testing to sort out 'how unusual' your child is is a great starting point.

Let us know how things turn out!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by mygirlrocks
    Does the talent search test has to take with school's permission. Or I can arrange them separate.
    Which test should be a good fit for a 7 year old?

DYS only accepts SAT, ACT, and EXPLORE for qualification purposes. EXPLORE has the lowest age cuts, and I'm unaware of any talent search that will test younger-than-3rd-graders.

If you eventually go that route, no school involvement is necessary; you sign up directly with the talent search.

One downside to grade skipping is that the achievement test cuts are age-normed (so a skipped or young-for-grade kid is compared against age-mates), but the talent search cuts are grade-normed (so they're compared against grade-mates).

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you alex mom. Thanks 2 cool4school. I will certainly call them.
    Grinity Thanks . I will definitely update once I finalize something.
    Now about Davidson , what I 'm expecting from them is a little more direction to me and her as well. Right now as school is no help I 'm trying to help her but sometimes I get overwhelmed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM