Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We stay in Dallas Texas. our 7 year old daughter is in a GT program of school. We would like to apply for Davidson scholar program. She has already given a Cogat and ITBS. Can I submit this score to Davidson? Or do I have to do the testing that they have mentioned on there website.
    I 'm not able to find any psycologist who does the IQ testing in our area. please can anyone help me.
    Thanks

A
    A
    If you have qualifying achievement scores, you can apply with those plus a supporting portfolio. If you don't have qualifying scores on one of the listed achievement tests, the talent search tests are widely available and inexpensive.

I know it's not exactly super close, but someone mentioned on here that they had their child tested by someone @ UNT. I'd probably start withe SMU College of Education and see if they have someone on staff who does the testing or who can refer you to someone who does.

~amy
    Hoagies's Gifted has a list of testers familiar with GT kids, and there's one in Denton and one in Colleyville (that's fairly close, yes?):
    Psychologists familiar with gifted

Sometimes the school will do testing for you. You could show them the list of tests accepted by DYS and see if they're willing and able.

C
    C
    Whether you go with the testing you have and a portfolio or pursue IQ testing probably would depend on what her achievement and CogAT testing looks like.

For instance, I might try applying with a portfolio if the ITBS along with the CogAT was at the 99th percentile for everything especially if either or both was given above level (i.e. - they gave her the 3rd grade ITBS in 2nd grade).

If they were both given at the proper grade level and she didn't hit the 99th on everything, I would probably try to get supporting IQ scores personally.

I say this because I have one highly gifted daughter who is not DYS qualified and she had some pretty impressive scores on things like the ITBS at that age and a bit older. She took the 3rd grade ITBS in 3rd grade and came out in the 99th percentile on the entire thing except math (science total, social studies total, reading total, core total, composite, etc.). She was in the 90s for math, but not the upper 90s. She's never taken the CogAT, so I have no idea how she would have done on that.

Very high scores on grade level tests don't necessarily mean profoundly gifted. For my kiddo they did mean highly gifted, but not so much so that she is DYS eligible.

M
    Mag Offline
    M
    DCs enjoyed their testing sessions (WPSSI-III and WJ-III achievement) with Dr. Beth Lusby in Colleyville. She did a consult prior to testing to determine the reason for testing (to help chose the "right" test) and to get to know your family/child a bit. After the testing, she went over a full report with you and answer any questions.

The only downside is the cost. Have we known about universities offer testings, we probably would have checked them out. Nonetheless, we highly recommend Dr. Lusby.

Here is Dr. Lusby's website:
    http://cagclp.com/

Hope this helps,
    Mag

Originally Posted by mygirlrocks
    We stay in Dallas Texas. our 7 year old daughter is in a GT program of school
    Welcome! How are things going for her at school and at home? How has parenting her been? Does she seem to fit in with the other kids in her GT program or do they look "slow" to you you or her?

What does she do for fun? Those interests might be the basis for a portfolio. Achievement testing can be much less expensive than individual IQ tests.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all. Appreciate everybody's replies.

>>>>>If you don't have qualifying scores on one of the listed achievement tests, the talent search tests are widely available and inexpensive.
    >>>>>>
    Ok. I 'm quiet new to all this. Does the talent search test has to take with school's permission. Or I can arrange them separate.
    Which test should be a goof fit for a 7 year old?

Grinity , frankly speaking a GT program in school is sort of a joke. Once in a week they pull our for just an hour. But just being in the program has certainly boosted her confidence level. So I 'm ok with it.
    The GT co-ordinator doesn't provide any info or share any information . So what I have decided is "supplementing " her in home.
    There is a charter school in our area. But they don't have a GT program but provides a challenging program. Still I decided not to put our daughter in there as being in a GT program certainly provides lots of advantages in middle school and High school.
    I 'm also volunteering for a just started group who works for GT kids.

so overall I 'm unhappy with a school GT program and that's why I 'm trying her for a Davidson Institute.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Mag thank you so much for DR Lusby's website. I will make a call tomorrow. smile

A
    A
    You can enroll your child in a talent search on your own, typically.

Here's a link to CTY's talent search page.

There are a fair number of talents searches, if CTY doesn't seem like a good fit. You can probably find one that would both provide a good program for your child and provide you with scores to use with your DYS application by searching for "academic talent search testing".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM