Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #115440 11/03/11 03:27 PM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    I used to post here some time ago but convinced myself he wasn't as gifted as I thought. I'd see so many gifted kids achieving and showing drive, mine would not. He shut down. He refused challenges, he wouldn't try. I wanted to work on his problems before we could deal with this, however now I see his giftedness is at the core of his school problems.

My son is eight and in second grade. He struggles socially and was just diagnosed with Tourette's. His kindergarten teacher was bad, she actually told me that we challenged him to read too soon. His first grade teacher got that he's bright but the school challenges all involve worksheets and writing, the thing he struggles with.

He's now in second grade and refusing to do any work. I came across an article on this site that sums up my son perfectly as a gifted underachiever. His MAP testing for reading is about mid fourth grade, for math it was third grade. He has a great teacher and that is willing to try anything to get my son to show what he can do. The school has a gifted program that tends to be geared toward writers. He's not in it now because he won't work and the program isn't set up for the more hands on learners. We're looking into an assessment. ADD, OCD and anxiety often go along with Tourette's. I've also requested an IQ test and, if the school can't provide it, will get one on our own. I regret not following my instincts and doing it sooner. My gut says it's not ADD but I think we need to go through the testing.

What accommodations would you want from the school?

Here's a link that describes a gifted underachiever, all that's missing is my sons photo.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10442.aspx

my dd8 (3rd) was in a similar place, refusing work, especially writing...if I had a dollar for every "We just need to motivate her", I could afford a fancy private school, lol!

I think the biggest thing, that for some reason no teacher we have had would go along with, is to minimize the times when he actually needs to move the pencil across the paper. Can he do writing with a keyboard or even dictate it?

You do need a proper assessment so the school can focus it's resources and probably provide an appropriate IEP...but, as I am learning, there is no "one size fits all" gifted program.

We are in the process of having a full evaluation because the school wouldn't give me anything else (due to high test scores), though with the Tourette's I suspect you will get further with your school...and I pulled my DD out and we are doing independent study (with optional class time once a week) while we figure out who she really is and what she really needs.

Common sense says it's easier to adjust the environment to fit the child, but our school was having NONE of that, so I'm making an environment that does...

Also, have you read the Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis book?

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    P
    P
    My DD7 (almost 8) is in the 3rd grade and did a mid year skip last year. This is his first year of a HG classroom and his program is also geared to writers (in my opinion). He has had IQ testing to apply for this program and is PG, but we got word from the teacher about a few weeks into the school year that he was having behavior issues. The first several weeks they were doing assessments that were extremely writing focused. He cannot sit at a desk and write for long periods - we went ahead and had further nueropsychological assessments and he did get an ADHD diagnosis but the neuropsych believes that the writing is extremely tedious for him - he has average PSI so she suggested getting him to the point where he does not have to physically write - either voice recognition software, keyboarding, dictation, etc.

I don't think the school can keep your child out of the gifted program because of his disabilities if he otherwise has scores that would qualify. It is against the law. They should have him in the gifted program and provide him with the right accomodations. I would strongly recommend a full nueropsychological evaluation with IQ, Achievement, and LD/ADHD testing with someone that you trust and can help advocate for you.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Deonne
    I don't think the school can keep your child out of the gifted program because of his disabilities if he otherwise has scores that would qualify. It is against the law. They should have him in the gifted program and provide him with the right accomodations. I would strongly recommend a full nueropsychological evaluation with IQ, Achievement, and LD/ADHD testing with someone that you trust and can help advocate for you.

The Tourette's diagnosis is new so until now we haven't had any real thing to say this is what he has. The school hasn't refused him anything, it's more trying to find a place to start while he goes through the testing program. The gifted program, as it is now, is so ill suited for him that sending him would make things worse. They'll challenge but he will refuse it.

The typing thing might work. I've thought about a tablet.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    ng NONE of that, so I'm making an environment that does...

Also, have you read the Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis book?

I have not, I'll look into it, thanks!

Last edited by Kareninminn; 11/03/11 09:39 PM.
    B
    B
    Have you checked in the PANDAS syndrome instead of Tourettes? see if it looks like your son- it would mean you would need different treatment than what you have for it tend s to happen in really bright kids!!. If you have any questions PM me.
    Brandy

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by bgbarnes
    Have you checked in the PANDAS syndrome instead of Tourettes? see if it looks like your son- it would mean you would need different treatment than what you have for it tend s to happen in really bright kids!!. If you have any questions PM me.
    Brandy

That's interesting to know about the relationship to bright kids. He had strep about a month ago, right after that he started throat clearing and a thing with his hands. Before that he hadn't had strep for over a year. His teacher had even noticed it started right after the strep. His other tic upswings didn't happen after strep, unless it was undiagnosed, he doesn't often get ill with strep.

I'll talk to his ped about it,

B
    B
    Were do you live and who is your PED- this is very important!!! Not all believe it exists- I just spoke with the top researcher this week and there is so much ground breaking work in this area. It sure sounds like PANDAS to me- I sent you a PM the other day too. Seriously call me- I have been through this and you need support, especially while exploring. If your PED says no- don't rule it out- he may not know anything about it. If it is his first exacerbation he would qualify for research trials. Check out the ACN PANDAS and PITANDS forum. Many parents have to travel to get to the right Dr.
    Regarding tics- upswing after tics is a high indicator and strep often can go undiagnosed. Also if he is around someone with strep he can activate or now that his started even a virus can initiate the tics.
    Good luck!!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM