Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    My second son situation sounds like yours - when I am busy with Dylan, I let him play on the PC, watch tv or play on his Leapfrog Explorer. Although I will chase the kids outside or at least off the screen time if I feel they have been on it too long at one go, I don't really put serious time limits - they are learning all the time while screen time is going on, and their only real "down time" on the screen stuff is watching TV when they choose to watch a movie or the kids channel.. even the kids channel here (BBC - CBeeBies) is all educational shows in effect.

you can find some awesome games and sites out there for him to play on while you are busy, then everyone is happy, and when baby is sleeping you can do stuff with him. This works well for us.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    I volunteer every week in both my third and first grader's classes. It's a public school; our G/T program doesn't start until 4th grade.
    Some of the kids read below grade level in the class. Inevitably, the teacher has me work with those kids. In chatting with these kids, it seems like they watch ALOT of TV and have unfettered access to their Wii, XBOX, whatever. I mean, they have a TV in their room, and some watch it until midnight when they are "supposed to be asleep."
    Are they below grade level b/c of their heavy video/computer use? Or is it b/c English isn't their first language, or their parents aren't educated, or... a million other reasons.
    Obviously, I don't know. It could be an epiphenomenon, but I suspect that all of their TV/video usage isn't helpful.

I'd say the encroachment on sleep time is a giant red flag.

Originally Posted by Dude
    I volunteer every week in both my third and first grader's classes. It's a public school; our G/T program doesn't start until 4th grade.
    Some of the kids read below grade level in the class. Inevitably, the teacher has me work with those kids. In chatting with these kids, it seems like they watch ALOT of TV and have unfettered access to their Wii, XBOX, whatever. I mean, they have a TV in their room, and some watch it until midnight when they are "supposed to be asleep."
    Are they below grade level b/c of their heavy video/computer use? Or is it b/c English isn't their first language, or their parents aren't educated, or... a million other reasons.
    Obviously, I don't know. It could be an epiphenomenon, but I suspect that all of their TV/video usage isn't helpful.

I'd say the encroachment on sleep time is a giant red flag.

Encroachment on sleep was my college experience. Computer games and/or TV up to 24 hours a day. More computer games than TV.

Why attend class, socialize, or do other things that require effort when you can eat pizza, drink soda, and play computer games?

I will point out that this did not end up having any benefits to me of which I can recall.

G
    G

While we don't impose set limits as I mentioned earlier, dh and I have agreed dd will not have access to screens in her room until she's, well, an adult (that's the plan at least). I suspect as well, a general attitude to screen time as not particularly valuable in our house contributes to us not needing to put limits on dd. Dh and I don't watch TV while she's around and while I use my ipad a bit, it's generally for reading newspapers and magazines (and she's aware that's what I'm doing). We have a wii, playstation, iphones, ipad and two computers but we rarely use any them for anything 'fun'(the fact that we have all those things despite not really using them, is of course an issue for another day!) We got a DS for dd for this Christmas, however she announced the other day she'd rather a Hogwarts Lego set... unfortunate given the DS and games are already purchased and the Lego costs close to the same amount as the DS here!

I have a friend whose little girl is almost always staring at a screen - to the point where she's not even realised I'm there. That's too much screen time... if dd valued screens we'd be setting limits WAY before it reached that point!

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke

Education level of parents, and amount of time the parents spend reading (even when not around the kids) has been shown to have a huge impact on kids' success in school. I can probably find several studies if anyone wants them. This is the sort of thing my step mother spends a lot of time on as an administrator for a h.s.

~amy
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I am not sure whether DS would be addicted to screen or not, but I suspect he won�t if I set a clear limit. He has pretty good self control for a 3yo (e.g. he would refuse to eat things that flare up his eczema.)

My strict screen time policy is as much for DS as it is for DH. DH would have the TV on 24/7 if I let him.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM