Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #114853 10/27/11 09:57 AM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    DD9 is HG with dyslexia and dysgraphia. She is in a 4th grade gt classroom at our local school. The school divides the kids by ability for spelling instruction. This year, DD ended up in a lower spelling group than last year and has spelling instruction with one of the other 4th grade teachers.

DD is complaining bitterly about the experience. DD is painfully aware that spelling is her weak point. I believe that she is embarrassed to be sent out of the GT class. She says that the other teacher treats them "like we are stupid babies" because the teacher speaks slowly and reads instructions verbatim. DD says that she knows the words already -- yes, she knows them in that she can pick out the correctly spelled version in a list and can memorize the spelling for a test. She can't transfer the correct spelling to her writing. IMO, this would be true no matter what level of spelling instruction they would give her.

The fundamental problem is that the spelling instruction is geared for typical kids. It is not designed for a kid with dyslexia who has underlying issues. My daughter's inability to spell does not stem from an inability to recognize patterns like vowel consonant vowel. She has some disconnect in her brain when it comes to written output. To quote last year's teacher, "It's not a lack of instruction or intelligence. When it comes to spelling, it just isn't there."

Quite frankly, I think that her current spelling instruction is a waste of time. DD has access to a computer in her classroom. Does anyone know of an online spelling program or alternative curriculum that addresses spelling issues for dyslexic kids? I'd like to figure out some independent way that she could use her time productively instead of pursuing a course of instruction that is unlikely to be beneficial.

R
    R
    Spelling City is online. While it does not specifically address spelling issues for dyslexic kids (at least that I'm aware of), there are plenty of activities that a child who can pick out the correct spelling could do (for example, vocabulary work). Anyway, you can check it out if you wish and there is a free version.

I don't know a darn thing about dyslexia so I apologize but would making the word shape boxes help get things in the right order? That and mazes. Just because that's something constructive she may work on for visual discrimination. I believe drawing helps. Of course that's only my thoughts of how to get someone from here to there so they may be irrelevant for someone with dyslexia.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    When DD9 was diagnosed with dyslexia last month we were directed to find a tutor who uses the Orton-Gillingham method.

I think perplexed son has an O-G tutor already? Our DD will start in the New Year.

(And you are right that 'normal' instruction will not make a lick of difference)

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    A
    A
    My son's (dysgraphia/dyslexia) speech therapist began using the Wilson Reading Program, and it was so successful that the school used it as well. He was pulled out for spelling into special ed until 5th grade.

The reading program helped with his spelling to a great degree and really helped his reading skills.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations