Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Marisa
    He currently is into Enders Game etc. (btw is that appropriate it appears there is a fair amount of violence it these books) Thanks in advance.

Ultimately, it's a judgement call, because what's acceptable for one person isn't the same as what's acceptable for another.

With that said, I was into the Lord of the Rings saga in 6th grade, and that series is far more violent than the Ender series. The Ender series also has some rather profound moral themes that get explored. So in your place, I'd find my son's interest in Asimov not only appropriate, but laudable.

M
    M
    Aculady: Thanks for the feedback. Isn't the maximum score 300? If so, there seems to be some room for improvement (otherwise why bother establishing the range). When you say talent searches what are you referring to? He had an opportunity to go to a tech/engineering oriented GT Middle School (I'm fairly certain that he could have - classmates in elementary School GT that were not quite as successful as my son made it in). But we were satisfied that he would be well served at our local MS. He's doing Algebra now (6th grade) and will move on to Honors Geometry soon. While he likes English and is quite good at it, his true interest is math and science...

Dude: Thanks for the feedback. I'm generally not that worried about violence - he seems to put it in the proper context - for instance I let him read John Le Carre etc. It's just that he noted it and shared his "concerns" (and that was the first time since the Hunger Games (sp?) that he did that)...

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Marisa
    I just got a lexile score for my 6th grader. His range was 1526-1676 and his RIT score was 257 (btw this is in MD). It looks like this is pretty good, but what worries me is that he had the exact same score last year in 5th grade. In other words it seems like he is stagnating... How reasonable is it to expect year over year increases at this level? He is a voracious reader and reads (or re-reads if he is particularly fond of a book) probably a book a day (maybe more). He currently is into Enders Game etc. (btw is that appropriate it appears there is a fair amount of violence it these books) Thanks in advance.

I just had a conversation about this with DS10's teacher. She said there is nothing really to strive for reading level wise and let him read what he is happy reading. His Lexile is 1260 this fall. So, at your son's level I really wouldn't worry. DH loved Ender's Game and recommends it for DS. He just needs to fit it in because his class requires a certain amount of on-lexile level books to be read per quarter (didn't the teacher just contradict this???) anyway, Ender's Game is pretty low but I will surely let him read it once he has his other books read. He chose Jane Eyre for this quarter (it's a 1300+ lexile)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM