Originally Posted by Marisa
I just got a lexile score for my 6th grader. His range was 1526-1676 and his RIT score was 257 (btw this is in MD). It looks like this is pretty good, but what worries me is that he had the exact same score last year in 5th grade. In other words it seems like he is stagnating... How reasonable is it to expect year over year increases at this level? He is a voracious reader and reads (or re-reads if he is particularly fond of a book) probably a book a day (maybe more). He currently is into Enders Game etc. (btw is that appropriate it appears there is a fair amount of violence it these books) Thanks in advance.

I just had a conversation about this with DS10's teacher. She said there is nothing really to strive for reading level wise and let him read what he is happy reading. His Lexile is 1260 this fall. So, at your son's level I really wouldn't worry. DH loved Ender's Game and recommends it for DS. He just needs to fit it in because his class requires a certain amount of on-lexile level books to be read per quarter (didn't the teacher just contradict this???) anyway, Ender's Game is pretty low but I will surely let him read it once he has his other books read. He chose Jane Eyre for this quarter (it's a 1300+ lexile)