Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Does anyone here have experience with intellectual checklist scales? I don't know exactly what is on the checklist, but apparently my daughter (who according to her IQ scores is gifted) might not get into our school district's gifted program because she scored in the average range on this scale. I wish I had more info on what this checklist consisted of, but I don't. Are these behaviors she's supposed to exhibit? Certain academic achievements she's supposed to have obtained? I just don't understand how they can deny an obviously gifted kid entrance in to the gifted program because of a checklist. Can anyone here help me out with what exactly this intellectual checklist scale is?

T
    T
    How old is your DD? My DD's teacher filled something similar out on my child in 1st Grade, and I met with the academic counselor, teacher, and principal. This was a multi-page questionnaire that was completed by the teacher. They did not allow copies, but did allow me to glance at it. It was four pages and had everything from leadership qualities, academic achievement, to gifted qualities (about 10 questions in each category). It was completely subjective and I thought the teacher totally missed it on several of her responses about my child. For example, my DD scored mid level in "leadership qualities", but she had just been grade skipped. (Ironically, since then she has become a very strong leader.) Then again, there were 20 kids in the class with many problem children, so I can guarantee her teacher did not ever single my DD out for independent observation. I would suggest that you request a meeting with your academic advisor to review this checklist. Keep in mind that you know your child better than most, so go with your gut and show any evidence you have to advocate for your child.

Good luck!

A
    A
    This is the checklist that a number of districts in Florida use.

Let's just say that it has its limitations.

It is supposed to be filled out by members of the gifted eligibility team, which should include a parent and at least one teacher who is familiar with gifted children and who knows the student. Meeting criteria for giftedness based on this scale means getting 6/10 in at least 3 of the 5 areas.

Last edited by aculady; 09/29/11 12:36 PM. Reason: fixed link
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    aculady- when you say the gifted eligibility team should include a parent- do you mean DH or I are supposed to be allowed to participate in this? Morgan's checklist was filled out by her teacher who has known her a grand total of 6 weeks. Also, do you know what plan b is??

A
    A
    I sent a PM. Check your flashing envelope. smile

T
    T
    Aculady posted the same checklist given for my DD. The school district had a matrix, which required 4 points total of which this counted as a point (and counted as a teacher nomination). CoGat scores counted as 1-2 points for verbal or quantitative and 1-2 points for non-verbal (depending on how high the score). Parent or student nomination counted for 1 point. Interestingly, if the parent did not fill out the nomination in the first place, the teacher would not fill out a form either, so that could count as a 2 point loss and not allow child in gifted program.

A good Plan B is to find out exact qualifications for gifted program and see if your child fits. If she does, then you need to follow through and advocate. If she fell through the cracks because of some crazy rule (like parents not filling out a nomination request), you have a stronger position (especially if you have high test scores).

A
    A
    this is the Renzuli scale which is commonly used too
    http://www.pvsd.k12.ca.us/pvsd/lib/pvsd/_shared/Forms/GATE_Parent_Checklist.pdf (not my school, just found it online)

L
    L
    Wow, this is really interesting and a little concerning. I am wondering why, in the Florida checklist, not all students are being evaluated the same way (different directions for calculating plan a vs. plan b)? What is the difference between those two groups?

A
    A
    Plan B is for students with a known barrier to identification or achievement - first language other than English, low socio-economic status, etc.

C
    C
    These types of checklists are so subjective that I really hate their use in GT identifications. Yes, some or many of these characteristics may be common in gifted children, but some or many of them may also exist in children who are not gifted and they are subject to the interpretation of the person filling out the scale -- parent or teacher.

If the teacher (or parent) is told that these characteristics are common amongst gifted kids and then asked to indicate if they are notable in a specific child, the teacher (or parent) is more or less likely to believe that this child does or does not exhibit these characteristics based upon his/her opinion of whether this child is gifted. If the teacher doesn't see "gifted" in the kid, s/he isn't going to see these characteristics either. If the teacher is misidentifying high achievement as giftedness, s/he is likely to also mistakenly state that the child shows characteristics that he does not.

I, too, have a child with HG+ IQ scores (and individual achievement scores) for whom it took a major fight to get any type of GT id b/c she is 2e and didn't fit the profile of what most teachers saw as gifted.

Have you managed to talk to the district coordinator or anyone else to see if there is a way around this subjective scale keeping your dd out of the GT program?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM