Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #112266 09/22/11 07:54 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I met with a psychologist yesterday to discuss the possibility of my daughter Morgan having ADHD. Based on my observations and answers to the questions he asked he is relatively certain she has ADHD. He gave us screening questionaires for us to complete, as well as one for her teacher to complete. We are bringing her in next week for some testing and to speak with the psychologist. We gave him the results of Morgan's WPPSI III test she took a couple of months ago and I was surprised to hear what he had to say about it. First of all I had no idea that the closer in age the child is to being 6 the more questions they have to get right and therefore the WPPSI III was, for Morgan, more difficult than the WISC IV would be if she took it now. Apparently since she is just barely 6 she wouldn't need to get nearly as many questions correct on the WISC IV in order to get the same scores she got on the WPPSI III. I really wish I had known that before we did testing. He said with her age at the time of testing that in order to get the verbal score she did she couldn't have answered more than a few questions wrong and that her score likely would be higher if she took the WISC IV. Again things I wish I had known before testing!!

In addition he thinks the huge gap between her verbal and performance scores,131 vs 108, as well as her low processing score, 10, is largely due to the ADHD. He said that kids with ADHD generally have difficulty with the timed portions of the test and obviously that lowers the performance score. Again, he thinks that if we re-did the test once she is on medication and has some coping strategies to deal with the ADHD her scores, espcially the performance score, would be higher. Is this all true? It makes sense to me, but I'm trying to figure out why I've never heard these things before? Is this all widely known information and I've just had my head in the sand?

W
    W
    Hello Morgan,

I have been trying to figure out the IQ test, scores and what everything means for almost 2 years. I would not say that that any of it is widely known information.
    Someone with more experience will give you some more advise soon.
    In our experience with our DS7, he took the WPPSI III at 5yrs 4 months and then the WISC IV at 6 yrs 8 months. The scores were not significantly differently. The biggest difference was that with the WISC IV the tester can calculate the GAI in addition to the full scale. The GAI only uses the Verbal Composite and Perceptual composite. The WISC IV also has more subtest that look at working memory and processing speeds. With these we were able to see that working memory and coding (which involves fine motor skills and speed) held him back to some degree.
    He has recently been diagnosed with ADHD as well. Asperger's has been even mentioned to us recently as well but it has not been diagnosed. We are observing and trying to help him with social skills. My point is that it is not an easy road and information can be contradictory and overwhelming as you search. This forum has really help me see that I am not alone.
    Good luck!

A
    A
    morgans-mommy,

I am not a psychologist, but a large difference between verbal and performance with VCI > PRI combined with very low processing scores sounds like a profile that would make me want to definitively rule out NVLD before I went with an ADD/ADHD diagnosis.

My son who is AS/NVLD scores as having a nearly 100% probability of both impulsive and inattentive ADHD on the Connor's rating scale, but pretty much all of the behaviors that earn him those ratings are related to the AS and NVLD, not problems with attention per se.

Just something to consider as you navigate the process.

With that score profile, I'd seriously consider getting her re-evaluated by someone with a lot of experience with 2-E kids so that you don't have to spend a lot of time running down blind alleys.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks aculady and whattodo. I can say with nearly complete certainty that she does not have AS or NVLD. She is wonderful in social environments and has lots of friends. Her coordination and fine motor skills are great. The screening questionaires (Conners)the psychologist gave us are also used to rule out several other issues and I believe AS and NVLD are two of them. We shall see I guess. Thanks again for the input!

Originally Posted by morgans-mommy
    In addition he thinks the huge gap between her verbal and performance scores,131 vs 108, as well as her low processing score, 10, is largely due to the ADHD. He said that kids with ADHD generally have difficulty with the timed portions of the test and obviously that lowers the performance score. Again, he thinks that if we re-did the test once she is on medication and has some coping strategies to deal with the ADHD her scores, espcially the performance score, would be higher. Is this all true? It makes sense to me, but I'm trying to figure out why I've never heard these things before? Is this all widely known information and I've just had my head in the sand?
    I don't think this info is widely known amoung parents - IQ scores are super-confusing! Even to teachers and school folks. So don't feel like you've been lax. I think her Verbal may squirt up with WISC and that it's GAI might paint a more dramatic picture of her gifted side. (I wouldn't RE-test on WPPSI, that's for sure!)

Good for you for seeking help for your DD. I hope the rest of everything goes smoothly.

Try not to judge too harshly the tester for giving the WPPSI instead of waiting and giving the WISC - it only matters for less than 2% of the population, so how was he/she to know in advance. Here what happened to you is a fairly common occurance, but that's here - not a heterogeneous group in that particular regard.

So the next question is - beyond the inattentive/impulsive/hyperactive challenges - how is school going? Is she learning anything? Is it fun for her? Are there any provisions for gifted kids?

Kids with ADHD particularly need educationally stimulating environments to help them maintain their focus where the teacher wants it maintained. See what I mean?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    So the next question is - beyond the inattentive/impulsive/hyperactive challenges - how is school going? Is she learning anything? Is it fun for her? Are there any provisions for gifted kids?

Kids with ADHD particularly need educationally stimulating environments to help them maintain their focus where the teacher wants it maintained. See what I mean?

Smiles,
    Grinity

School is the primary reason we're looking at the ADHD issue. She has problems at home and at school, but her grades are starting to slip and she now tells us that she must not be as smart as the other kids because she can't get her work done as quickly as they can. She is in an accelerated/gifted class, but it focuses more on lateral enrichment than true acceleration. Honestly even without the ADHD factor I think she needs more to keep her interested. It doesn't seem challenging enough for her. Socially she seems to enjoy school. Academically, she seems frustrated. I think it's partly frustration due to an inadequate curriculum and partly frustration due to the ADHD.

A
    A
    When you say her fine motor skills are great, can you give some examples? How is her handwriting speed and legibility? Some kids who have problems with visual motor integration, dyspraxia, or dysgraphia can do fine motor stuff well if they do it slowly and carefully, but skills like handwriting don't become automatic to the point where they no longer have to think about how to write what they want. They may draw their letters instead of writing them fluently. Because their handwriting is neat and legible, teachers and often other professionals as well may not look at it as a problem, but it can really interfere with output speed, and it can mimic or exacerbate ADHD, because it is hard to concentrate on what you want to say if you are having to also concentrate on how to get it on the paper.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    She is fairly quick with her writing and it is pretty legible. I would say it's very good for a newly 6yr old. If she goes more slowly it's textbook perfect. She is also very good with things like beading, drawing, etc. I definitely haven't noticed any issues. I will ask at our next appointment about the other possibilities you brought up though. Can't hurt to be more thorough.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations