Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by sydness
    She told me she wants us to buy it because "I'm worried that the teachers don't make me do stuff in school because I already know it, but they don't teach me more so I think I'm going to get behind." lol...that was so cute of her to be thinking about her education. Makes me smile.
    Chelsea
    That's a great example of a story to illustrate the problem...I know it's 'cute' but remember that humor comes from a contrast of aspects we don't expect to see together. One doesn't expect a person in a child's body and life experience to be worried about their education, but that is the key of what asynchronous development is all about - it's stressful to a person with a child's body and life experience and emotional development to be saddled with adult concerns, such as the meaning of life and responsibility for the development of one's gifts. Tell the story but tell it as a poinant example of how she isn't getting her needs met, and feel compelled to do what the grown ups are supposed to being doing. This is just as sad a kid her age who has to cook dinner and discipline the younger kids because the parents are too impaired to do the adult role. (Although thankfully less constant and global for your DD)

On one hand we get funny looks and people ask us 'why don't you just let her be a kid?' - but on the other hand, the only way to protect a child from assuming a role that is meant for adults is to find a way to get her the challenge she needs. How else are we supposed to 'let her be a kid' if the schools and parents don't work together to find a way to take back the role of planning her education?

I don't mean this as criticism of you sydness - I've BTDT and stifled back many a smile at the 'cute' things my son has said more times than I could count, but he was able to share with me how much he hated it that I expected him to be 'kidlike' in certain areas where he just wasn't. I know that you would present this story to the school in a totally urgent and serious way, I just have the feeling that there is a lurker reading this thread that really needs to hear that we have to take our children at the multi-levels that they are. ((Lurker, are you out there and want to step forward?))

We all do it, and we all look back with regret that things couldn't have been better. We all did the best we could have when balancing the whole bundle of family needs. The only consolation I have it 'For the Grandchildren!' - I really really expect things to be much easier for all of our Grandchildren. I believe that more of us understand the problem and are ready to find solutions. Things like Aleks are great peeks at the future solutions our Grandchildren will take as normal. You Go Sydness for allowing your DD to run free with Aleks!!!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    smile I must have DH read this! You sound like an amazing person...Maybe YOU be a child advocate...get paid...I would pay you to come to school with me! I'm all alone...even my mom thinks I'm crazy (thinks DD is crazy smart) but thinks nothing of school...didn't for me either. Sad..

Seriously though..

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Oh...my. Just talked to the GC...Nothing. She did sympathize with the being told to hold her pen like a 4th grader (while she was making broad strokes for design purposes)....and seems to understand that my daughter is in the wrong classroom with the wrong teacher. She offered to talk to the teacher about it..I said no thank you. I was hoping for a pull-out.

GC wondered why I was complaining so early in the year (5th day of school) I told her that after speaking with her teacher, I could tell that she had little experience working with children like my daughter and although DD scored perfect and above grade level in all things reading (way above) the teacher suggested that she was just good at taking tests. I explained that since the teacher doesn't seem to believe that it is possible for a child to read at my DD's level, I don't see how she is a good fit to teach my DD..She again questioned me as to how I know that so early in the year. I told her that the teacher told me and my daughter that anyone reading that much isn't really reading.
    Again, she understood that was not a good thing to say.

I told GC that my DD needs to be able to be happy for herself for accomplishing and learning. GC added to that..."and not demeaned." I was like..."Yeah!"

She may be pulled out for Science at some point. I guess there are topic pull-outs too. So a group of kids can get pulled and work on a project...Didn't seem very used though.

I found out that they use the Otis Lennon test to ID the kids.
    She also reminded me that the State of CT is not required to provide serviced to gifted children...

Seriously WHY does this stuff make me sooooooo crazy!

What is the Otis Lennon? Does my creative, logical, with like 0 spatial reasoning skills kid have any chance with this test?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis%E2%80%93Lennon_School_Ability_Test

I gotta go, but start here.
    ((wink))
    Grinity

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Kcab...We picked this town for the school system. The CT gifted site lists a really good curriculum compacting option, plus other gifted options. It's all a lie. The school is perfect for my 1st grader so far. I just can't allow myself to think we made THAT BIG of a mistake yet. Still trying to make it work.

On the plus side. The LA teacher (after the phone call with GC?) asked DD9 what book she was reading for independent reading and asked her to what it was about. DD9 said she gave her a short version. She is reading Behind the Bedroom Wall. I think it is only a 4th Grade level book, but the content is a good starter book for learning about Nazi Germany. We got a lot more books about that subject. I hope the low reading level of the book she is reading doesn't make teacher think that's how high she can go. I think it is a very popular book. She had never heard of it. But she asked! That is a great first step! It made DD9 feel like she was being...noticed! It doesn't take a LOT for a teacher to make a student feel good about herself.

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    OMG! So, the LA teacher called me today. She asked me to bring some sample of DD9's work and her WJIII scores in. They are going to have a meeting about her. The LA teacher, Math teacher and VP.
    When I had the meeting with the VP last year about placement for this year, she didn't even want to look at the stuff I brought!

What changed? Has DD been inspired by the middle school atmosphere to put her best foot forward? I wonder if my squeeky-ness made them observe her a little more closely and maybe they noticed she might be ready for more!

Now, I'm doubting all my samples and even the WJ scores.
    She got a 99.6 overall, but she only got 72% in math fluency. Her 99.9's were in writing and spelling. Will they notice the applied problems at 95%? which for some reason is in the very advanced catagory with the 99%'s...
    She also scored 'low' in Math calculation...92%...

I still don't get these scores..
    Total achievement is advanced at 99.6%
    Broad reading advanced at 97%
    Broad Math Advanced at 96%

Broad Written Lanuage Very advanced 99.9
    Academic skills Very advanced at 99%
    Academic applications Very advanced at 99%

Academic fluency advaned at 95%
    Math calc skills Average to advanced at 92%
    Written expression 99.9%

Letter word ID Very advanced at 95%
    Reading Fluency Advanced at 98%
    Calculation Advanced at 94% (is this dif than math calc?)

Math fluency average 72%

Spelling very advanced 99%

Writing fluency advanced 93%
    Passage comprehension advanced 86%

Applied problems Very advanced at 95%

Writing samples very advanced 99.9%

I don't feel like this is as good as I thought it was when she fist did it.

But she hasn't been taking online stuff and hasn't been being challenged at school. Maybe an ability test would come back higher. idk...

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I posted some of this somewhere...DD9 wrote this last year in third grade..She is adding to it sometimes...
    What do you think? A good piece to bring in? I have thrown away most of her stuff. frown
    She wants to send it to J.K Rowling to see if she will use her ideas for Harry Potter book 8. lol..

Lily Potter and the Survivor�s Cave
    CHAPTER 1

The morning sunlight shone brightly down upon Lily Potter�s bed. Lily, an eleven-year-old girl with long, bright orange hair just like her mother, was sleeping deeply. Both her brothers, Albus and James, had dark black hair. Lily suddenly awoke to the sound of her mother calling, �Lily! Come down! The express leaves at exactly 10:00. We have to hurry because YOU can�t apparate! The Kings Cross station is four hours away. Hurry Albus, James�� Lily scrambled out of bed and out into the hallway. She was so exited! She was going to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It�s a boarding school, so you must pack. THAT�S when Lily remembered-she forgot her luggage. THAT�S when she remembered a summoning charm her father, Harry had taught her.�Accio trunk!� she said wearily. A big wooden trunk came soaring down the staircase and landed with a thump next to her. �Wow!� said Lily �It actually works! Next, she tried making it float with the Wingardiam Leviosa charm. All her trunk did was shift a little in place. Those were all the charms and spells her mother and father had taught her, but she knew she was to learn many more at Hogwarts, like Expelliarmes and Impedimenta. Lily hopped down the stairs all the way to the bottom. �Oh there you are,� said Mrs. Potter. �Breakfast is on the table.� Lily was starving as she sat down to eat. �Pumpkin pasties for breakfast?� asked Lily. �Well, being it�s the first day at Hogwarts, I thought a little treat would be fine,� said Mr. Potter proudly. �oh, and Albus, I know you don�t like them so here�s some every flavored beans instead.�Borty Bots Every Flavored Beans were a favorite at Hogwarts. �BLAH! EWW! YUCK! Earwax!� a painful scream came from the other end of the table. �Albus, you�re just making that up because Dumbledore the greatest headmaster at Hogwarts EVER said it to dad after he fought the Basilisk.�Lily said sounding very annoyed. �no, really! Its true! I got anEarwax flavored bean! Really, you should believe me�� Lily was not amused. She grabbed one end of the table cloth and yanked it off the table, sending silverwear flying; forks, knives, spoons; plates, bowles and everything on the table: all now flying in the air. Ginny, Lily�s mother cried one word, �Impedimenta!� everything that was about to shatter to the ground was now floating dreamily through the hemisphere. With another flick of her wand, Mrs. Potter set everything back on the table. �Lily! Excuse me! We do not throw things into the air at any rate! Do you understand?� Lily was awestruck. What had she done wrong? Had she even taken a look at these, these people? �er, I�m sorry, what?� �REMEMBER WHAT YOU JUST DID?� �Im sorry whatever you�re name is but I have clearly no Idea what you are talking about, or where I am� oh, do you live here? Its such a nice cozy place.� �Harry!� exclaimed Mrs. Potter, �I think someone�s� wiped her memory!� everyone was quite silent for a moment, then Lily said, �what the that mean?� �Gamblia!� cried Mr. Potter. Lily was finally back to normal. �but� but Harry, I thought there was no counter curse for memory wiping?� �oh, I made that one up in case of an emergency.� �well great thinking done on you�re part.�
    The whole family ate in silence for the rest of the meal. When It was 10:30, everyone started gathering their luggage. Lily realized she had forgotten her wand and started back to the kitchen when she heard a sort of� whispering voice in the walls. She told herself she was just imagining things and went on. A few minutes later, something burst behind her. Lily whipped her head around. A large snake was contentedly swerving through the walls. �the basilisk!� Lily thought to herself. Mrs. Potter had told her about her attack by the basilisk at Hogwarts, held in the chamber of secrets. �g-go back t-to the ch-chamber of secrets, where y-you belong! Now!� Lily screamed at the confused Basilisk. She was surprised when her voice came out as a cold whisper. The giant snake dove through the floor, downstairs, the basement, and underground. Lily checked her watch. 10 minutes till 10:00! Lily rushed downstairs, out the door, and into the flying car. �Lily, what took you so long?�asked Mrs. Potter, as Mr. Potter reved up the engine. �Uh� well, there was this� thing and...it was like a� snake�but huge� so I thought it was the�basilisk and I told it to� go back to the chamber of secrets only� It kinda came out like a whisper� and the Basilisk listened to me and� what I want to know is� WHY DID IT LISTEN TO ME?� Lily demanded to know.

Originally Posted by sydness
    I don't feel like this is as good as I thought it was when she fist did it.
    That's a side effect of hanging around here for a while - but don't sweat it - the scores are strong, and in combination with a child who is presenting a mismatch between classroom level and readiness level, supports the idea of looking further.

Good Luck - take notes - send 'Thank you' emails with your notes.

Smiles,
    Grinity

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Kcab...they want me to bring stuff in for their meeting without me. So they can look at it before our meeting.

Yes. She typed it...that's what she typed. I cut and pasted it. Since the teacher thinks DD couldn't possibly comprehend above grade level material, I thought it was a good way to show her that even though DD read most of the Harry Potter books in second grade, she is comprehending enough expand on it.

I really am at a loss here. I'm having problems knowing what is average work and what is an example of her above level work.

I like the idea of having do something for this. Hmm. Thanks for your comments...and yes...Grinity..I do need to stop reading about all your little geniouses! I do truely like to read about them...like my kids or not!

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I dropped of the stuff today. Some scattered Math stuff, some really detailed pictures...one she drew when she was 4 of a girl in a wheel chair in a room with a crazy amount of detail. Another, when she was 5 of the inside of a house with a setup in every room - even a toilet room under the stairs...
    I sent some poetry, her Harry Potter story, a long story she wrote when she was in first, in her own hand writing...three pages long - reg. ruled. And some other stuff.
    I'll let you know what happens and what they found interesting, if anything.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM