Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    My son's WPPSI scores are a little low:
    Verbal 145
    Performance 133
    processing 113
    full scale 142

The psychologist who tested him mentioned that he was looking out the window most of the time during the test. Also, my much less evidently bright DD scored 7 points higher, making me suspect that DS should have done much better than he did.

DS is in 1st grade full day gifted, bored out of his mind. Reads 5th grade books, designs his own science experiments, understands his snap circuits kit, asks about subatomic particles.

I don't really want to pay to re-test, and since he's been accepted to the gifted program at school, the school won't re-test him. How flexible is the DYS committee with the portfolio vs. test scores?

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    I would say you have nothing to lose! You definitely would want to show very strong performance in the portfolio. I know of kids with similar scores who have been asked to submit more information (which I take as strong "qualifying achievement") and others who have been accepted.

A
    A
    well, for the WPPSI-III it says :

Standard score 150+ (99.9th percentile) on at least one of the following sections: Verbal, Performance or Full Scale

Maybe if you submit the testing with a portfolio and videos? It sounds like the portfolio would be more representative of his abilities?

O
    O
    There is finacial aid sometimes for the second test requested from DYS

N
    N
    WPPSI is an IQ test, right?

We were accepted to DYS without any IQ test, only WJIII and portfolio. It's always worth a shot!

D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, all. Will work on the portfolio, I think.

It can't hurt, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on being accepted without further scores/information. I generally read about portfolio applications being accepted with either qualifying IQ or achievement test scores. The portfolio seems to be meant as a replacement for one or the other, not both. But it really can't hurt, I don't think.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    It can't hurt, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on being accepted without further scores/information. I generally read about portfolio applications being accepted with either qualifying IQ or achievement test scores. The portfolio seems to be meant as a replacement for one or the other, not both. But it really can't hurt, I don't think.

This is my understanding as well. I know how you feel, OP, my ds scored 147 on verbal. Gah, 3 points!

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    O
    O
    My DS had just make it scores. I thought his portfolio was very good as he is a project guy. BUT when he took EXPLORE test he qualified for DYS as someone a grade up. You might think about a talent search test if DC is old enough. They are less expensive.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/10/11 06:24 PM.
    Mia Offline
    My experience: My then-5yo had just short of qualifying WPPSI scores (148 FS, 143 PIQ, 144 VIQ). He did have several qualifying achievement scores, but they asked for more info. I put together a pretty strong portfolio and he was admitted with that.

So, it doesn't hurt to apply. I think they'll want to see qualifying achievement *and* a good portfolio, though. Any chance of getting achievement testing done? It'll be helpful not just for Davidson, but for you as well.

Mia
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs