Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
My son's WPPSI scores are a little low:
Verbal 145
Performance 133
processing 113
full scale 142

The psychologist who tested him mentioned that he was looking out the window most of the time during the test. Also, my much less evidently bright DD scored 7 points higher, making me suspect that DS should have done much better than he did.

DS is in 1st grade full day gifted, bored out of his mind. Reads 5th grade books, designs his own science experiments, understands his snap circuits kit, asks about subatomic particles.

I don't really want to pay to re-test, and since he's been accepted to the gifted program at school, the school won't re-test him. How flexible is the DYS committee with the portfolio vs. test scores?
I would say you have nothing to lose! You definitely would want to show very strong performance in the portfolio. I know of kids with similar scores who have been asked to submit more information (which I take as strong "qualifying achievement") and others who have been accepted.

well, for the WPPSI-III it says :

Standard score 150+ (99.9th percentile) on at least one of the following sections: Verbal, Performance or Full Scale

Maybe if you submit the testing with a portfolio and videos? It sounds like the portfolio would be more representative of his abilities?
There is finacial aid sometimes for the second test requested from DYS
WPPSI is an IQ test, right?

We were accepted to DYS without any IQ test, only WJIII and portfolio. It's always worth a shot!
Thanks, all. Will work on the portfolio, I think.
It can't hurt, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on being accepted without further scores/information. I generally read about portfolio applications being accepted with either qualifying IQ or achievement test scores. The portfolio seems to be meant as a replacement for one or the other, not both. But it really can't hurt, I don't think.
Originally Posted by Iucounu
It can't hurt, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on being accepted without further scores/information. I generally read about portfolio applications being accepted with either qualifying IQ or achievement test scores. The portfolio seems to be meant as a replacement for one or the other, not both. But it really can't hurt, I don't think.

This is my understanding as well. I know how you feel, OP, my ds scored 147 on verbal. Gah, 3 points!
My DS had just make it scores. I thought his portfolio was very good as he is a project guy. BUT when he took EXPLORE test he qualified for DYS as someone a grade up. You might think about a talent search test if DC is old enough. They are less expensive.
My experience: My then-5yo had just short of qualifying WPPSI scores (148 FS, 143 PIQ, 144 VIQ). He did have several qualifying achievement scores, but they asked for more info. I put together a pretty strong portfolio and he was admitted with that.

So, it doesn't hurt to apply. I think they'll want to see qualifying achievement *and* a good portfolio, though. Any chance of getting achievement testing done? It'll be helpful not just for Davidson, but for you as well.
Will look into schievement testing. My main concern is attention -- the psychologist who did the WPPSI said he was looking out the window for most of the test.

Who does achievement testing? Psychologist, or somewhere else?
Originally Posted by doclori
Who does achievement testing? Psychologist, or somewhere else?
Almost anyone can administer the achievement testing - psychologist, school psychologist, tutor, etc.

WJ Achievement, for example, the tester has to
Originally Posted by http://www.riversidepublishing.com/products/restrictionlevels.html#med
Bachelor�s degree in educational field (e.g. education, psychology, speech therapy, occupational therapy, counseling, etc).

Specific undergraduate level training in one or more of the following:

�Intelligence/cognitive assessment
�Basic tests and measurement
�Speech, hearing, and language assessment
�Educational diagnostics or equivalent testing course

((Hey, anyone want a part time job out there?))

I couldn't find the equavalent info for WAIS on their website, but I didn't do an exhaustive search
Hope that helps,
Grinity
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum