Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 465 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I really don't remember with any but one of my kids. Her experience stands out for me because I had no idea she knew anything about telling time. When she was 3.5 I gave her the CAT5 assessment for kindergarten. She easily answered all of the time telling questions in the math section, indicating that somehow she had figured it out on her own. I'm pretty sure the questions were to the hour and half hour only, but still, I was impressed.

J
    J
    We never pushed time with DS6. He knew how to read a digital clock at age 4. He's now learning the regular clock in 1st along with his other classmates. But I will say, they just started maybe 2 weeks ago, and he's grasped the concept so extremely quickly and is leaps and bounds ahead of what he is supposed to know (they are only teaching :00 & :30, DS can tell you pretty much down to the minute, i.e., 4:17).

B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    My PG older brother learned everything early and I wound up getting a bit of anxiety about everything he did early that I didn't understand instantly and early. My mom didn't think he was PG, she thought I was slow. I panicked whenever asked the time, although I could figure it out quickly enough if it was just for me.

So, I got all panicky about time telling until perhaps my sophomore year of college, long after I learned I was gifted, too. Similar problems with telling right from left (mastered answering R/L questions in middle school) and reading large numbers aloud (mastered post college.) In each of these situations, I was okay figuring out something silently, but not if someone asked me a time, left/right, or big number question.

My son (not tested) is now 4.6.

He can tell time to the minute.

It was an ongoing process starting when he was just turned 3. First he told time to the hour, then the half hour, then the quarter hour. At about the same time, he had learned each number represented "counting by 5's", and he caught on to telling time in 5-minute increments.

One of his favorite "toy" requests since he turned 3 has been clocks. He adores them and would buy a new one every time we're in a store if I let him.

Analog came after digital. He had digital down pat at a little after three; approximately the time he was able to recognize numbers past 60.

smile

Last edited by Ametrine; 08/27/11 11:17 AM. Reason: answering digital time question!
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    thanks everyone. My DD3 has some interest and does OK on digital clocks, but has trouble beyond the hour on analog clocks. I am not really showing her, but I know she is interested and she gets frustated that she doesn't fully understand it. I've wondered if I should spend a little time explaining it to her more directly because I think she would like to understand it. She is 3.5 and is more verbally gifted than mathamatically gifted but is pretty strong in that area,but probably not like some of the really mathmatically gifted kids on here. I guess I am surprised she doesn't get it all yet, but want perspective on what is normal even among gifted kids.

One way I taught my son to pay attention to the time was to tell him we were going to do something he wanted to do at, say, 3:00. I would then tell him to come get me at that time. He was motivated that way. When he got that down, I told him to come get me at 3:15, and so on. I "whittled" it down to the minute.

I strive to teach real life skills in a real life setting.

Originally Posted by Dandy
    Our son was just past 3. I remember because he used to drive his preschool teachers nuts. They'd try to fudge the time to get the kids going in one direction of the other and he'd pipe up with the correct time. One teacher used him to her advantage, though -- she made him the classroom clock monitor. She created the job just for him and said it worked great! He was in charge of giving 5 minute warnings for lunches, recesses, etc.

laugh

That's a great idea. My son likes to point out when I'm late, too.

T
    T
    DS had analogue sussed by early 2s. He was desperate for a watch and had to wait until his sister was born (2.5) for her to bring it for him. He was irritatingly pedantic about it until about 3.5 when he finally came to accept that 'it's about half past three' was not lying when it was 3:27. I was very impressed because I remember struggling to get it sorted when I was about 8.

U
    U
    Digital clocks, certainly in the 3s for both kids. Analog time-telling was one of the few things DD actually learned in K and 1. Frankly she still doens't have it down 100%. The spatial skills it draws upon are not her strengths.

However, we also have no analog clocks in the house--not even one!

M
    M
    DD10 was three when she was able to tell time on the analog clock. She refused to learn with digital clocks until she turned five because she didn't like the "funky numbers."

DD8 was six or seven before she could recognize all the times on the analog clock. She could tell time on the digital clock at age five (she had a lot of fun setting the alarm for various times on her digital alarm).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM