Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    at what age did your gifted child begin to understand the clock--both analog and digital and at what age was it really mastered?

A
    A
    I know my DS8 really had it mastered by 4 1/2 - when he started his final year of preschool. At that point, he wanted to wear an analog watch and could tell time to the minute and do things like tell you what time it would be in 20 minutes or what time it had been 1/2 hour ago. I remember the watch because the preschool teacher thought it was pretty unusual. I am not exactly sure on when he started to understand it though.

A
    A
    not mastered, but dd 2.10 learned to tell time to the hour digital and analog last month after a 2 sec explination by me. Haven't really showed her anything else...so am interested to hear.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    C
    C
    Mine both had some trouble with non-digital clocks. Dd#1 I can comfortably say couldn't reliably tell time on an analog clock/watch until she was about 9.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    thanks everyone. My DD3 has some interest and does OK on digital clocks, but has trouble beyond the hour on analog clocks. I am not really showing her, but I know she is interested and she gets frustated that she doesn't fully understand it. I've wondered if I should spend a little time explaining it to her more directly because I think she would like to understand it. She is 3.5 and is more verbally gifted than mathamatically gifted but is pretty strong in that area,but probably not like some of the really mathmatically gifted kids on here. I guess I am surprised she doesn't get it all yet, but want perspective on what is normal even among gifted kids.

B
    B
    My DS7 (almost) :-) Was totally fascinated with clocks and pretty much had time telling down before 4

O
    O
    My DD learned to tell time so gradually that it's hard to say when it all came together. In her 3yr preschool, they'd say see the clock, when the hand moves to here, we will do X. When she was 4, we started adding 2 mins on the clock to know when we should stop brushing teeth. In K, at 5 she just knew it all. These were very easy nostress ways of learning that worked for her. Have fun with it.

We also had a toy talking clock but no one here liked it. I'm not sure why - seems like a good idea. There are also fun books with clock hands that move.

If you have a not needed, old clock it is fun to open it up an see what is inside.

Last edited by onthegomom; 01/14/10 05:04 PM.
    Timex has kids' learning watches... They have different colors for different information (hours vs. minutes for instance). We got DS one when he was probably 2 or 3 and somewhere in there he learned.

Erica
    K
    K
    Ds was about 4 when he learned to tell time on an analog clock. We checked out a video about telling time from the library. He watched it a few times, and knew how to tell time. Dd wasn't interested in time until 1st grade, but she picked it up right away.

W
    W
    Wolf was reading digital clocks correctly somewhere around three and analog by 5's by 4 1/2. Not sure exactly when he got the minutes down though.

Bear is almost three now and could care less. He's not fascinated by numbers like Wolf is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM