Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
    DeHe #110517 08/28/11 04:53 PM
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    Originally Posted by eema
    its just that they want to learn in their own way, and at their own time, and if they are not interested, they are totally uncooperative.

And this is why I love this forum! How can we explain our kids to others who don't get it? Yes, she is smart... scary smart. And, no, you probably don't see it because she can't be bothered to show you, or she doesn't care about the subject you discussing, or there is an ant crawling across the floor that could be a great start for the ant colony she always talks about and never makes. You guys help to keep me sane!

YES!

Originally Posted by DeHe
    Originally Posted by Giftodd
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    There are kids who love to learn but who want don't like to be taught.

This is my daughter. While I say she is un-hothouse-able - it's certainly not that she has no interest in learning, she just isn't interested in being taught in a structured way. At least by me or DH. She likes to learn in a random, hands on way - to have her questions answered and her interests facilitated. She tends to learn and expand her ideas, and to problem solve, through fantasy. Flash cards are hard to fit in to a many months long dramatic saga about being a courtier in the 16th century (we tend to live much of our lives as characters from dd's books...sigh)

Giftodd
    this is us too - although not usually people - we have been bugs, animals, characters, robots, you name it, it just has to come in groups of 3! He uses the information gleaned from his books to feed these imaginative adventures. Its fun, although sometimes strange when he addreses us by one of the names in public!!

DeHe

Yes, us too! I seem to be spending an awful lot of time being Ms Frizzle right now. At least that's easier than when they want DH to be The Frizz laugh

I think my children are not un-teachable, but what we do certainly doesn't look like tradtional school. If I was to provide worksheets only, it would be an exercise in frustration for all of us!

Someone here once said that usually the environment provides a good level of challenge for children, but for some kids, it isn't challenging enough. So I'm trying to provide a level of challenge without expecting the output level of a higher child.

OP Offline
    Lol. You mean your kids weren't born gullible, I mean teachable. laugh

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Lol. You mean your kids weren't born gullible, I mean teachable. laugh

Ummm I think that's what I mean... Gees, I really need to get more sleep. Then I might make sense...

U
    U
    Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    I was accused of hothousing once, by a nurse, of all people

Not sure how to take this one. Did you feel this way because the opinion was unsolicited? Hoping it is not a dig at the profession. wink

Oh, no--not a dig at the profession at all! The opposite--I would expect a pediatric nurse to be professional and neutral, not to throw out this kind of thing at parents. Some random person on the street, okay.

Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    Someone here once said that usually the environment provides a good level of challenge for children, but for some kids, it isn't challenging enough. So I'm trying to provide a level of challenge without expecting the output level of a higher child.
    That's key for some 'quite asynchronous' gifties. I thought my son would never learn to read at all, due to the 'baby-ish' content of the early readers availible at the time. I'd joke to the children's librarian: "Do you have an easy-readers on the topic of poisons or weapons?"
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I even made up a story in my mind that his giftedness was like a pair of huge invisable wings, that some teachers couldn't see. �All they could detect was the way those invisible wings knocked things over and made DS wobble when he walked. �Obviously there was almost no place to actually fly during the school day. �Even his parents were mostly concerned that he hold his wings politely in and not knock over the other children. �The wings would take care of themselves until the wonderful day when he could use them, right?

Well - things didn't turn out that way, and we got quite an education. �

We definitly need a word for 'gifted blindness' that is quite normal in this culture, perhaps that for another thread?

Smiles,
    Trinity

Love this.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    I was accused of hothousing once, by a nurse, of all people

Not sure how to take this one. Did you feel this way because the opinion was unsolicited? Hoping it is not a dig at the profession. wink

Oh, no--not a dig at the profession at all! The opposite--I would expect a pediatric nurse to be professional and neutral, not to throw out this kind of thing at parents. Some random person on the street, okay.

Sorry for high-jacking the thread. Couldn't let that one slip by.. I'm too proud of my profession!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    That's key for some 'quite asynchronous' gifties. I thought my son would never learn to read at all, due to the 'baby-ish' content of the early readers availible at the time. I'd joke to the children's librarian: "Do you have an easy-readers on the topic of poisons or weapons?"
    grinity

LOL, yes, and maybe something on black holes and relativity with pictures, and a robot!

DeHe

All I can say on this subject is that I've been hothoused enough by my children and I'm tired smile

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM