Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    G
    G
    I didn't take the author to be meaning that ADHD and learning disabilities are always related to insecure attachment, simply that there are instances where they may be (though I didn't notice the sentence Cricket2 quoted above the first time I read it - in which this is not clarified, so perhaps they do - in which case I do think such a claim is ridiculous).

However, I wasn't reading it from that perspective, having neither ADHD or a learning disability - what resonated in my situation is the idea of an 'over developed' right brain. I don't know how much truth there is to theories about dominant brain hemispheres, but my husband and I often laugh when we come across trait lists for dominant hemispheres because I always tick every right brained box. Those traits definitely make it more difficult for me to communicate my ideas with other people and I have always thought that that seemed to tie in to my (very unscientific personal) theory about answers vs understanding that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

LOL smile So I guess I liked the article because it supported my theory (luckily I am not a scientist!)

Edited to include ** I should point out that when I talk about difficulties in communication, I don't mean I struggle to get along with others, just that I struggle to communicate my own ideas. I can get along with anyone - one of the benefits of right brain traits is seeing the bigger picture, so ultimately I can almost always understand where people are coming from!

Last edited by Giftodd; 08/14/11 01:51 PM.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    Originally Posted by islandofapples
    I like to think the universe or God or whatever gave me all this adversity for some reason. I just don't know why...

...I sometimes have a hard time accepting that my happiness could actually be a pretty permanent thing. It sounds very PTSD-like, actually.

You need some trauma to grow, but it sounds like you got a little too much trauma.

Trauma either leads to post-traumatic stress disorder or it leads to post-traumatic growth.

However, if you are generally happy now, I'm afraid that there is some risk that you may remain permanently happy.

Last edited by JonLaw; 08/14/11 03:56 PM.
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I like to think the universe or God or whatever gave me all this adversity for some reason. I just don't know why...

...I sometimes have a hard time accepting that my happiness could actually be a pretty permanent thing. It sounds very PTSD-like, actually.

You need some trauma to grow, but it sounds like you got a little too much trauma.

Trauma either leads to post-traumatic stress disorder or it leads to post-traumatic growth.

However, if you are generally happy now, I'm afraid that there is some risk that you may remain permanently happy.

Yay! lol grin

L
    L
    interesting question. And a good one.

Since we've been trying to figure out if DS8 fits into this category, I've recognized a few things.

1. What does this mean for me - I know my IQ, and does that somehow change the circumstance of my life, my confidence, my abilty. NO. I can't go BACK, but knowing what I AM helps me direct myself forward. So, knowing if you make MENSA maybe is the affirmation you need/want... however, if not making it, or scoring lower than you thought you might, what will that change?

2. Same thing for my son. If he's just super bright vs. MG... what does that mean? It means only that I should find appropriate challenges for him - doesn't mean he'll wANT them... all I can do is lead the horse to water.

3. Regardless of DS8 desires/performance, what do I want for him? MOstly, those things I want for him that relate to IQ are outcomes that have some of my baggage attached. Hard to say, but brutally honest.

Mostly what I want for him, however, have nothing to do with IQ.

I want him to be confident, free, a connection to his spirituality and feel safe within our household.

So, how important is being "gifted" - VERY in the small picture, minimal in the big picture.

I just think 'balance'.

For me, the gifted label has been important in terms of providing a positive label to undo a lot of negative labels I have been given in the past. If I hadn't needed that, then 'gifted' probably wouldn't matter so much. I'm hoping that as time goes on it will matter less and less.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    ...Putting energy into finding people you can connect with would also help. Most adults don't join clubs based on IQ - they meet around shared interests...
    I'm resurrecting your old thread a bit b/c I've thought about this comment off and on.

If this is too much of a derail, I'll start a new thread smile !

I believe that a lot of people with expertise in giftedness in children assert that it is important for gifted children to have intellectual peers. That is part of the argument for tracking gifted kids with other gifted kids in schools; it isn't all about academics.

I am wondering, then, why having intellectual peers would no longer be important when we are adults? I do agree that we don't necessarily have similar political, religious, or parenting beliefs just b/c we are all gifted. We also don't necessarily have similar hobbies, etc. However, I have found that I sometimes mesh better with other adults, regardless of age, who are fairly highly intelligent. Of course, I do have people I adore who are not brilliant, but I do find value in like minds based on brain wiring as well (which is how I see high intelligence -- different wiring).

Of course, as a Mensa member, I may be more sensitive to comments about adults not joining clubs based on IQ wink . Mensa has over 50,000 members in the US, so some of us have obviously found something other than bragging rights from joining. Most of my acquaintances, co-workers, etc. aren't aware that I'm a member, though. I don't go around wearing Mensa logo attire.

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Of course, as a Mensa member, I may be more sensitive to comments about adults not joining clubs based on IQ wink . Mensa has over 50,000 members in the US, so some of us have obviously found something other than bragging rights from joining. Most of my acquaintances, co-workers, etc. aren't aware that I'm a member, though. I don't go around wearing Mensa logo attire.

Mensa always struck me as a group for unfocused intelligent underachievers.

Otherwise, you would be getting sufficient intellectual stimulation from your professional peers and, therefore, not have a reason to join Mensa.

I'm not a Mensa member. I have thought about joining the Triple Nine Society - I noticed they have a LinkedIn group and I'm somewhat bored, in general. I don't currently belong to any high I.Q. groups.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Cricket2

Mensa always struck me as a group for unfocused intelligent underachievers.

Otherwise, you would be getting sufficient intellectual stimulation from your professional peers and, therefore, not have a reason to join Mensa.

I'm not a Mensa member. I have thought about joining the Triple Nine Society - I noticed they have a LinkedIn group and I'm somewhat bored, in general. I don't currently belong to any high I.Q. groups.

Wow. That was harsh. What sort of career would one need to be in to get this intellectual stimulation you speak of?
    I'm a stay at home mom. I don't even have professional peers and a lot of SAHMs don't. Are we underachieving? Am I supposed to magically find another mama on the playground who wants to have deep philosophical conversations with me while we watch our kids play on the jungle gym?

Wow. That was harsh. What sort of career would one need to be in to get this intellectual stimulation you speak of?
    I'm a stay at home mom. I don't even have professional peers and a lot of SAHMs don't. Are we underachieving? Am I supposed to magically find another mama on the playground who wants to have deep philosophical conversations with me while we watch our kids play on the jungle gym?

I was thinking about Academia/Medicine/Law. I wasn't trying to be harsh. After all, I'm an unfocused underachiever.

I was envisioning a Physics Ph.D. with a "Mensa Member" sign on his door. The rest of the faculty would be laughing at him behind his back. Not the best career move.

I
    OP Offline
    I

I was thinking about Academia/Medicine/Law. I wasn't trying to be harsh. After all, I'm an unfocused underachiever.

I was envisioning a Physics Ph.D. with a "Mensa Member" sign on his door. The rest of the faculty would be laughing at him behind his back. Not the best career move.

A lot of us would probably enjoy Mensa, then, I suppose.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM