Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    MsFriz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you for all the helpful suggestions and commiseration.

Unfortunately, exercise doesn't seem to do anything. He swam and played in the pool for several hours in 100+ degree heat yesterday and had his worst night yet.

I did buy a night light, and although he loves it, it doesn't seem to help.

We've also checked out some books from the library on how to deal with fears and anxiety but don't seem to be making any progress there either. Last night he had a complete meltdown.

It's looking more and more like he just doesn't want to be left alone in his bedroom at night. He doesn't want us to leave his room until he's "ready" (meaning has the sheet wrapped around him just so), but it's taking him longer and longer to get "ready" every night, so I'm starting to think it's just an excuse to keep us there. Last night, as a last resort, we ended up sitting with him until he fell asleep at bedtime and then again at 3 am.

Tonight I'm going to try playing classical music in his room to see if that helps make him feel less alone and vulnerable. The thought of having to stay with him until he's asleep brings back chilling memories of his first year, when he tried to kill us both by sleep deprivation! There's a reason he's an only child. Can't go back there!

D
    D
    MsFriz, if this is every night and getting worse instead of better, I'd suggest it's time to find someone to evaluate and treat the anxiety. Cognitive-behavior therapy is really good for this, and he's old enough to do it.

Trying more and more things to fix the situation (music, etc.) just reinforces for him that something big and important is going on, which will make him more wakeful and give the fear more control over him. He needs to learn that going to sleep is no big deal. CBT is the best way I know to re-tool one's thoughts and get them better aligned with reality.

DeeDee

M
    MsFriz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Yeah, I think we'll give it maybe another week and then take him to the pediatrician to see if they can refer us to someone. I don't want this to go on into the school year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM