Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Pru
    One thing that really surprised me was how she was after the test. I fully expected her to be frustrated and exhausted after two hours of testing--as she sometimes gets after a few minutes of homework--but instead she came out looking happier and more stimulated than I have seen her in quite some time. She stayed that way the rest of the day and asked when she could go back and do more. That to me was the most telling sign that we need to get her into a more stimulating environment.

This was my DD 8.5, too!! She said that the WISC was the most fun she has ever had. She has asked numerous times when she will be able to go back and do it again! She participated in a research study a few months ago and they did some subtests/achievement tests (a study of ADHD), mostly the times ones. After the tests she could earn money by 'learning' computer games and advancing. She was gone a LONG time and came out with a fistful of $5 bills and a frazzle and dazed looking grad student. DD's face was flushed and she was more excited that I have ever seen her. She was in her glory.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    E
    E
    May I ask who you used for testing? We're considering it as well. thx

L
    L
    Edina, have you investigated the financial aid for pegasus? Ds is starting there in the fall and they do have financial aid available. What district are you in? As for testing, both Pru and I used dr. Palmer (Palmer earning.com).

P
    Pru Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    LOL!

Keep in touch and you'll do fine. Schoolies go droolie when Daddies come to visit.
    LOL! Now that's the sort of practical advice I need! I'm going to pocket my Captain Ahab routine and try plying them with the Tom Hanks nice guy thing. Dadvocacy shall be a force unstoppable!

Originally Posted by Pru
    LOL!

Keep in touch and you'll do fine. Schoolies go droolie when Daddies come to visit.
    Tom Hanks nice guy thing. Dadvocacy shall be a force unstoppable!

Go Dadvocacy!
    Watch Tom Hanks in 'League of their Own' - but leave the hip flask at home. From what I remember, he uses the lower growl voice and stern looks when needed.

What Tom Hanks is is 'likable.' I'm not sure how he does it. Even when his character has to say mean things, we still like him.

Of course there are no guarantees on 'Advocacy.' It's basically 10% shaming them, and 30% begging, 30% listening and providing reassurance, and 30% providing inspiration to do what they came to the job to do in the first place, instead of negotiating. I did everything right, and still couldn't get a subject acceleration or a grade skip for DS. We had to shuck out the money, but at least we got the skip after we did that. And in a way the transition was easier, because he had already left his friends behind. I'm so glad that all of that is in the rearview mirror for me! DH and I wake up every day grateful for my son's current school situation.

Love and More love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Of course there are no guarantees on 'Advocacy.' It's basically 10% shaming them, and 30% begging, 30% listening and providing reassurance, and 30% providing inspiration to do what they came to the job to do in the first place

Classic.

P
    Pru Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Of course there are no guarantees on 'Advocacy.' It's basically 10% shaming them, and 30% begging, 30% listening and providing reassurance, and 30% providing inspiration to do what they came to the job to do in the first place

Classic.
    I agree. I'm printing that out and posting it on the mirror.

I love the title "Dadvocate". Grinity left out the 50% knowledge in her line items. Learn the local district and state rules regarding education. Often times you can force their hand with their own legislation. Good luck!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Lukemac
    Edina, have you investigated the financial aid for pegasus? Ds is starting there in the fall and they do have financial aid available. What district are you in? As for testing, both Pru and I used dr. Palmer (Palmer earning.com).

I'm responding to this so late, I apologize as I just saw it. We have not investigated financial aid for Pegasus. DD starts at the Ocean View GATE Magnet @ Circle View this year and hopefully it will be a whole new world and we will love it smile I'm still considering testing with Dr. Palmer but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve at this point. If it will help me better understand how she learns and what exactly we're working with, obviously that would be good. But at this moment we don't need it for advocacy purposes. I'm going to check his site right now smile Thansk.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM