Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 219 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #103166 05/23/11 11:00 AM
    P
    Pru Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    This is a follow-up to my post earlier this year which gives some background.

DD7 (8 in two months) took the WISC-IV yesterday. Even though I won�t have the full score report for two weeks, I have the basic scores and am anxious for more insight into what they might mean:

VCI 146
    PRI 140
    WMI 129
    PSI 121
    FSIQ 145

He said her GAI score was 154, and suggested it may be more accurate than the FSIQ due to discrepancies (?). That�s all I have in terms of numbers right now.

One thing that really surprised me was how she was after the test. I fully expected her to be frustrated and exhausted after two hours of testing--as she sometimes gets after a few minutes of homework--but instead she came out looking happier and more stimulated than I have seen her in quite some time. She stayed that way the rest of the day and asked when she could go back and do more. That to me was the most telling sign that we need to get her into a more stimulating environment.

Would these numbers get her into DYS? The psychologist mentioned that but also mentioned an additional achievement test, which I am wondering whether she would score high on since she�s not the �little professor� in any particular subject (unless you count imaginative play) wink.

Anyway, it all comes down to doing what�s best for her and I think this test was a step in the right direction. I�m grateful to this forum for all the information and inspiration I�ve gotten in my lurking and would appreciate any more insight/advice. Thanks!

Pru, My son is the same way after those tests! My parents were asking why I was "putting him through" tests until they were here when he took one and saw how enlivened he was afterwards! It's incredible to see what stimulating his mind does for him. Good luck with your daughter! DS8 has been in DYS since January and it is great to have contact with parents raising our kind of kids!

P
    Pru Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    @Dottie: Thanks, I think we will pursue that after I get the full report. The achievment test should help us understand where she's at practically, right?

@Kate: I was really surprised how enlivened she was. It is a very telling sign that we're on the right track. That alone was worth the price of the test!

L
    L
    AHhhhh Pru!! I see it now! So happy for you , and so happy you had such a great experience with Dr. P!!!!!!

L
    L
    And do the achievement testing with him!!!!

P
    Pru Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Lukemac
    AHhhhh Pru!! I see it now! So happy for you , and so happy you had such a great experience with Dr. P!!!!!!
    Thanks for the recommendation! DD really liked him and his little table of interesting puzzles and goodies. Plus you can't beat the location. Afterwards we strolled downtown, bought some candy, and caught sand crabs for an hour at the beach.

Originally Posted by Pru
    I was really surprised how enlivened she was. It is a very telling sign that we're on the right track. That alone was worth the price of the test!
    Yup - my son was like that - even as a Middle schooler taking the college enterance SATs. He said it was like being inside a giant puzzle.

So now you know 3 things:
    1) She is definitely gifted.
    2) She is unusually gifted enough that even local experts may not really 'get' her.
    3) Private schools that refer to themselves as gifted still may not really 'get' her.

Welcome to the land of 'trail and error.' You've actually been living in this land for a while now, but perhaps have never been officially welcomed!

So what are your possibilities for finding a good fit environment?
    Do you plan to ask for a full skip to get the ball rolling?
    Are you going to look at some of the local private schools?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    Pru Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    So what are your possibilities for finding a good fit environment?
    Do you plan to ask for a full skip to get the ball rolling?
    Are you going to look at some of the local private schools?
    Hi Grinity, I was hoping you would reply. smile Thank you for the welcome.

I have been in this land a while, but I was wandering about in dark goggles and ear plugs. It is wonderful to finally have some clarity!

In terms of possibilities, we have limited resources. But a heroic cause spawns heroic deeds, so I'm being fitted for my new superdad costume as we type. A full skip might be the smartest initial step. I'm not sure we can manage anything more elegant in the coming year.

I've heard there are two public/charter schools within 30 miles that have excellent gifted programs, to the point there's a waiting list and we'd have to move into the district. But like you said, I'm not sure what excellent means here or how well they get it.

Private school, again, is dependent upon how much steel dad can bend with his bare hands. I've heard that in this area (Orange County, CA) the private schools are hurting budget-wise and have lowered their entry requirements.

What would you do?

LOL!
    I'd get sewing!

I think a single grade skip is a great way to get started. I love a Dad who can see that his little cutie-pie daughter is shirking and usually getting away with it. Go SuperPru!

I'm guessing vision is your superpower...

Dad's usually fall into the 'ow, cutielittlegirly is trying so hard!'

Just keep skipping (a bit at a time) until the stomache aches go away. Remember to stress the emotional costs to the Schoolies.

Keep in touch and you'll do fine. Schoolies go droolie when Daddies come to visit.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E
    Hi,
    I'm also in OC and have been through hell and back with my district/home school. They absolutely will not advance, even when data supports, and their idea of differentiation is putting all the kids who aren't failing in one classroom for reading and not even that for math. My child reports basically being left on her own for most of school. I could go on and on. I'm not the only parent who has reported these challenges, and believe me, I'm a squeaky wheel. I finally gave up and supplemented and we got a district transfer for next year to a GATE pull-out magnet. The only other option is Pegasus and that's cost-prohibitive. I'm curious about the Charter's you are referring to. I don't know where you are in OC, but you might want to look into Circle View in the Huntington Beach Ocean View district for their pull-out program. Feel free to message me.

Additionally, you can transfer to any district that offers a program that your home district does not and GATE pull-out programs are a common reason. You can do this as long as data supports. Your home district has to release you for that reason and usually the GATE pull-out districts are happy to take as it increases their scores. Again, if you have any questions, just message me.

Last edited by edina; 05/23/11 03:37 PM. Reason: to add info
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...