Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #107313 07/19/11 08:35 AM
    Y
    yannam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    we (I and my DD6) were reading that book this weekend, she did not have any problem in reading, but subject of single parent, loneliness and other 'world full of aching heart' subject, by the end of penultimate chapter she was telling "this is kind of boring, I think we should finish this book soon" we finished by 9PM. I can tell she did not enjoy that becuase of the subject. Then she picked up geronimo stilton book, fieldtrip to niagara and she read that book completely by 10.30- 11pm and slept. She seemed enjoyed reading geronimo book so much

I felt that it was either age thing (just turned 6) or maturity thing (she is born as adult, we feel), or lack of illustrations (she prefers) just putting it here to hear comments and similar experiences from forum

Last edited by yannam; 07/19/11 08:50 AM.
    C
    C
    My dd has never liked that author. I think she finds the emotions in them overwhelming. So yours isn't the only one.

Warning: sleep deprived
    A
    A
    It's hard to find books that are both academically appropriate and emotionally appropriate. We own Because of Winn Dixie, and it went on the "probably too old" stack when DD was 6. I think she was capable of reading it, but even at 8, I don't think she'd enjoy reading it.

Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    It's hard to find books that are both academically appropriate and emotionally appropriate. We own Because of Winn Dixie, and it went on the "probably too old" stack when DD was 6. I think she was capable of reading it, but even at 8, I don't think she'd enjoy reading it.

Same thing here with DS 5, he is capable of reading way older than he is emotionally ready for. But we have had to accept some issues simply because he is so bored with material on his emotional level. Like, I have noticed that almost every interesting fantasy book has orphaned kids and its the losing of parents which produces the interesting mystery or opportunity - I was worried this would make DS upset and he would relate it to losing his parents. From his point of view -its the scary factor - but its hard to know what he is becoming emotionally comfortable with as the growth isn't as evident as other development!

DeHe

I still find books of that sort emotionally overwhelming, so it's not just kids.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years