Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 290 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    We try not to be flagrant but my husband and I both love music and it is hard to shelter from many different types of words. Cee-Lo's clean version of his hit was completely lost on her as in passing she heard one line of the real version. She adores Lady Gaga and listens to her non-stop. The only songs that have caused questions are "Government Hooker" and the "Disco Stick" song. I told her I don't want her listening to them because they are inappropriate and she understands why. It's hard to explain sexual inappropriateness to someone who barely understands sex, but we do our best. She doesn't curse and she doesn't share our discussions or the inappropriate things she comes across with her friends. I'm not going to freak about music, especially Gaga, as I see how it inspires her. She gets teased a lot for her speech (articulation challenges) and "Born This Way" and "Bad Kids" give her a lot of solace.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Taminy
    Funniest experience we ever had with music: Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue" which ends with a string of bleeps on our CD. The song was apparently written by Shel Silverstein. I checked out a Shel Silverstein CD from the children's section of the library a few years back for my daughter. Later that evening she came running out and said, "Mom! Now I know what all the bleeping was in a Boy Named Sue". No bleeping in the Shel Silverstein version.... Oops. crazy

Radio was the only music I ever heard until I went to college. Where I bought a CD containing a song that (on the radio) had cute little electronic noises at certain parts. Alas, not so on the CD!

DD and I like Gordon Ramsay's TV shows, and depending on the channel, they bleep more or less of the constant profanity. We were watching one on BBC America the other day, and they didn't bleep "ass." "Mom! Why didn't they bleep that word!?!" I explained that different stations had different thresholds. "You mean there are *worse* words than *that*!?!"

B
    B
    My 8yo son asked for the Rock Band 2 program for the Wii. He and his 6yo brother have treated us to hearty renditions of 70's/80's classics such as "Eye of the Tiger" (Survivor) and "Go Your Own Way" (Fleetwood Mac). My wife thinks it is good voice training. I have not yet noticed songs with objectionable lyrics.

Last edited by Bostonian; 07/21/11 09:50 AM. Reason: corrected band for "Eye"
    S
    S
    Not to be picky...but Eye of the Tiger was Survivor

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM