Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 366 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #106739 07/10/11 09:12 PM
    X
    OP Offline
    X
    Hello,

I am new to this gifted children world. My kid just had the test. The score is:
    VC 150
    PR 147
    WM 138
    PS 136
    FSIQ 153
    I see a few posts talking about GAI instead of FSIQ. What is it? How do know my kid's GAI? The psycologist recommends us to apply DS YS. Do you know where we can take the required achievement test? Thanks a lot!

Welcome! How old is your child? We used the Explore for our 3rd grader.
    Here are a few talent search programs that administer the test.

http://www.education.uiowa.edu/html/belinblank/TalentSearch/Explore/Default.aspx
    http://www.cmu.edu/cmites/ests.html
    http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/numats/

Those are fantastic scores. Congratulations! smile

X
    OP Offline
    X
    Thanks, LDmom! Have you applied DYS? Do you think that my child has a chance? Is it worthwhile to try?

My child is going to the 3rd grade in fall. It seems that Explore starts from 3rd grade. Is there any disadvantage of taking Explore test before the child actually starts the 3rd grade.

Originally Posted by Xiangbaobao
    I see a few posts talking about GAI instead of FSIQ. What is it? How do know my kid's GAI?

The GAI is the General Ability Index. I cannot pretend to know more than that as I've only recently been researching all of this so I will leave you with this link till someone more knowledgeable replies. Goodluck!

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/N...DA-05888C7CC082/0/80720_WISCIV_Hr_r4.pdf

Do I think your child has a chance? Absolutely! smile

Yes, we used the Explore results + portfolio option for our son. I did have him take a WiscIV after I sent our application (for back-up) but they accepted him without my having to submit the IQ results.

My guy took the Explore privately through Belin Blank, where they sent the test booklet to a proctor of my choice (our homeschool charter teacher). I chose the February test date so if you like you can wait till then, when your child will actually already be in 3rd grade. I've heard that you can also choose to have your child tested earlier if you are using Belin Blank. However, since your child is younger, they may request for some kind of further info before sending you the packet. I sent them my son's results from another above-grade-level test and they sent almost immediate acknowledgement that they were willing to have him take the Explore.

X
    OP Offline
    X
    LDmom, how did you prepare your kid for the achievement test like Explore.Is there any books or et that I can use? Thanks!

Hi Xiangbaobao,

Welcome! Do apply to DS YS - if the Explore test is anywhere near as 'unusually strong' as the IQ it won't take long for the admissions committee to say 'yes.'

To find test prep books for Explore, or any other achievement test - go to Amazon.com (or your favorite bookstore site) and search
    name of test "test prep" , in this example:

"explore test prep"

I checked, there are several - I've never seen any great difference between one test prep book and another.

As for GAI, I don't think it's going to be useful in your situation. Some kids have profiles like this:

VC 150
    PR 147
    WM 124
    PS 70
    FSIQ - huh?

It's hard for a family in that situation to show a school that their child has special educational needs without an 'IQ number' to throw around, so the GAI is helpful as an alternate IQ number in those situations.

If you were talking to that parent of that imaginary friend, it would be clear to you by observation that the child who is having such a great time with your kid is more similar than not your child, and that the overall picture of this imaginary child's IQ is 'a broad spread' - but inside the education system, you find more and more people who feel uncomfortable without a 'bottom line number.'

I hope that helps.

No significant disadvantage to taking the Explore before he's actually in 3rd grade, unless you happen to be in a school system where is going to learning 8th grade level material this year - which is statistically more rare than your son - I estimate.

How is school going for your son? Most of the gifted kids I've met are very lovable and fun, but many of them have been kind of stressful to parent. I'm hoping yours has been a relaxed, easygoing, good natured kind of kid, but if not, this forum is a pretty good place to get some ideas and reassurance as long as you keep anonymity in mind.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by Xiangbaobao
    LDmom, how did you prepare your kid for the achievement test like Explore.Is there any books or et that I can use? Thanks!

I just want to point out that when testing for these purposes, it's probably not a good idea to spend a lot of time preparing for the test. If you want to get a good idea of where your child' achievement really is, then don't prepare for the test, other than to familiarize the child with the types of questions, etc...

Besides, I doubt that your child will need much preparation! wink

By the way, the ACT website has sample test questions for each section of the Explore. I had my DD try each of the samples (and I timed her). That was the extent of our preparation.

Good luck! And DO apply to DYS. It's worth doing.

X
    OP Offline
    X
    NJMom, Yes. I agree with you. I just want the child know what the test question looks like and get familiar with the test framework. Sample questions would be good enough. I will check out ACT website. Thanks!

X
    OP Offline
    X
    Grinity,

Thank for GAI explanation!

Unfortunately my child has not happy in his school starting from public Kindergarten. Being bored is the all-time complain. Even though his MAP score is very high, due to his relative low CogAT score and classroom observation, the school decides to exclude him from 3rd grade accelerated math program. Socially he is lonely and has no friend in the past school year in his classroom. He gets so frustrated because he really wants to have friends. Outside of the school we don�t see any social problem. So we talked with the teacher. She blames all the fault on my child being mean. We are very frustrated too because he doesn't do well enough in his classroom project either. I know that he is underachieved. We feel that he is not learning much at school because he seems to lose the interest. Being excluded from the gifted math is the trigger for us to have him tested. The IQ came out much higher than our expectation. We told the psychologist what is going on in his school. He believes that these are all due to fact that he is too bored. And he recommends that we shall put him in the gifted school because the public school just can't offer what he needs considering his high IQ. Sadly the public school even don't believe he is gifted. frown

We have been in the mud for years puzzling what is wrong with my child. Now the psychologist evaluation seems to be able to explain a lot of things that have happened on him. As we just step into this new world, we still don't know what is the best thing to do for him. How much shall we rely on the judgement from the psychologist or public school teachers?

Anyway, we really appreciated from all the comments from the parents here. Thanks a lot!

Xiangbaobao

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs