Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 334 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    F
    F
    I've heard that children's memories are much more detailed and vivid prior to learning to write. Once written communication begins, we tend to rely more on writing down information (vs. solely on memory) and those incredible memories fade some.

However, that being said, my DS (5.11) continues to have a remarkable memory (despite developed written communication)
    -His passion is for sports and scores (major games/his favorite teams, bowl games of past, etc. (this goes for football, basketball, soccer, baseball). It blows my mind the scores from years ago that he will accurately recall.
    It was actually his amazing memory that led us to have him tested. (and he ended up being on the gifted spectrum).

B
    B
    add us in for the elephant memory - goodness, our DS8 remembers everything it seems! Also has the amazing ability to be doing something while someone is talking around him and look completely zoned out or not be paying attention when in all reality he is listening to every single thing and can you tell you all that was talked about a week later.

Iucounu #106800 07/11/11 07:16 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    I think it's pretty typical, but what do I know? I see parents post sometimes about their children remembering specific dates a year or more later at a young age, which I think is atypical (and which is far beyond my own abilities as an adult, where I have trouble remembering family anniversaries etc. laugh ).

That is my dd7. In fact, I started a thread about it here.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....yone_else_have_a_child_wi.html#Post79029

She's still like that. And she remembers the exact word-for-word title of books, movies, shows, products at the store, authors names, parking space locations. It's effortless for her. I can't remember anything like that.

Belle #106803 07/11/11 07:30 PM
    Originally Posted by Belle
    add us in for the elephant memory - goodness, our DS8 remembers everything it seems! Also has the amazing ability to be doing something while someone is talking around him and look completely zoned out or not be paying attention when in all reality he is listening to every single thing and can you tell you all that was talked about a week later.

And amazingly,at least with DS, that zoning paying attention thing only works on conversations that are interesting or not for him, never happens when he has to do something, go somewhere or otherwise pay attention to the parent repeating his or herself for the 40000 time!!!

DeHe

annette #106808 07/11/11 07:58 PM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Originally Posted by annette
    It means she has a great memory, right?

She might be gifted. Lots of articles you can read on this.
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/identification.htm

I don't know if it means she has a "great" memory. If it's completely typical, then it's just normal for the age. That's why I asked. smile I've looked at Hoagies, and I don't find anything specific enough to answer my questions.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM