Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #106751 07/11/11 12:18 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    My 3 1/2 year old remembered specific activities (i.e. attending a concert, riding in a stroller and doing a lot of walking) from 10 1/2 months ago at the fair after driving through the fair grounds and hearing family discussing that this is where the fair is held each year.

Typical recall for an intellectually average child of this age or no? It's clearly not anything special for a profoundly gifted child. I am just wondering what to expect from a Level 2 or 3 child, even.

Last edited by whitebackatcha; 07/11/11 04:37 PM.
    M
    M
    I don't know if it's typical but my kids both do it, my eldest in particular. She's got no working memory to speak of but she's like a freaking elephant for long term memory.

Here too for the freaking elephant memory, WM isn't bad but long-term is scary good sometimes. Although then you expect them to always do it and are surprised when they don't! DS 5 can remember book plots and characters from books read 2 or 3 years ago and now can remember really intricate details from books and signs that we don't always notice. Really helpful for learning to read early, DS recognized words that showed up in different places like exit in stores and on road signs, seemed to click for him that it was a pattern to recognize!

DeHe

M
    M
    Yeah my DDs amazing memory is experiential or visual, but sadly was profoundly impaired when it came to learning to read.

H
    H
    DS' long-term memory amazes even outsiders.

I think it's pretty typical, but what do I know? I see parents post sometimes about their children remembering specific dates a year or more later at a young age, which I think is atypical (and which is far beyond my own abilities as an adult, where I have trouble remembering family anniversaries etc. laugh ).

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    C
    C
    At about 3-5, my son could remember in perfect detail just about any situation that had happened from about age 6 months forward. However, at about 5, these memories started fading and turning into snapshots instead of stories. At 8 now, he remembers some incidents or situations but we have photos of many of them (birthday parties, festivals in town etc) so it's hard to know what is a "real" memory and what is remembering looking at the pictures.

The stuff he does really clearly remember is now mostly from ages 3+.

I remember reading that young children often have better recall of specific facts, which shifts towards reliance on pattern recognition etc. as they age.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Yeah my DDs amazing memory is experiential or visual, but sadly was profoundly impaired when it came to learning to read.

That describes my DD8 as well - her memory for things she's seen or done amazes me, and yet she struggled with remembering how to pronounce a word that someone had just helped her with at the top of the same page.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Oh gosh. I'm still getting the feel for this particular forum, so I don't yet realize how wording is interpreted.

We don't know if our dd is gifted (at any level, although I would be absolutely shocked if it was at a higher level), but we have gotten so many comments from people who have gifted kids, that I am trying to figure out what is typical and what isn't.

So my question really was, is this typical, e.g. something a completely average child would do, or is this more on the gifted spectrum? smile I probably shouldn't have picked a Davidson's forum to ask this, but this was the first gifted message board I found....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM