Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 360 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    DS12 took the ACT on 6/11/11 and we just received his scores. He did not achieve any of the minimum scores for DYS qualification at the 7th grade level. However, he did equal or exceed 4 of the 5 minimum scores for the EXPLORE at the 6th grade level. Question is this, would these ACT scores for a 6th grader be an acceptable equivalent to the 6th grade EXPLORE minimum scores? Anyone experienced this scenario?

His scores are:
    E - 22
    R - 25
    M - 21
    S - 22
    C- 23

He also has a GAI of 153 on the WISC-IV. I'll fill out the application if DI will accept these ACT scores. Otherwise, we will wait until next year.

Philip Stone
    N
    N
    Is your DS a 6th grader?

I can't say for sure that DYS would automatically accept ACT scores as the exact equivalent of Explore scores, but it sounds like your DS is an excellent candidate. Why don't you phone them and ask? The worst case scenario is that you would have to submit a few portfolio items as well.

Good luck!

B
    B
    I cannot answer your question but would like to ask a related one -- if a student takes the EXPLORE and ACT at almost the same time, how would one predict the ACT scores from the EXPLORE scores? The tests are made by the same company, and the company has deliberately made the top score on EXPLORE sections (25) lower than the top score on ACT sections (36). Does an EXPLORE composite of 20 predict the same ACT composite score?

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Sorry, I meant to include that tidbit. DS12 just finished 6th grade in June. I searched the forums and googled 6th grade ACT scores but didn't find anything useful info regarding the relationship between ACT & EXPLORE scores.

Philip Stone
    Originally Posted by CalvinsDad
    He also has a GAI of 153 on the WISC-IV. I'll fill out the application if DI will accept these ACT scores. Otherwise, we will wait until next year.
    I'd encourage you to just fill out the darn paperwork now, because they will keep the file open until next year, so you won't be duplicating all your work. Get as much as you can completed, and get those letters of recommendation in, if Davidson balkes, you can always send in the retest without having to go through the whole thing again.

Do it, Do it, Do it!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Wasn't he was a sixth grader when he took the test? I would start the paperwork.

Last edited by melmichigan; 07/06/11 09:06 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    yes, he was a sixth grader. I will submit the app for DYS. Also, I will sign him up for the ACT again next year.

I thought he did pretty well only taking one practice test to familiarize himself with the format and length of the test. He did not prep in any other way and was more interested in what choice he would make for lunch afterward.

Last edited by CalvinsDad; 07/08/11 07:44 AM.

Philip Stone
    C
    C
    They do adjust the required ACT scores for a 6th grader even though it's not published. I think because many of the testing centers won't let you take the ACT until 7th grade. I asked once before applying and they told me that much. I didn't ask for specifics since we met the 7th grade requirements but if you aren't sure, you could send them an e-mail and see if they will send you the 6th grade numbers. If they do you could better determine if he is a candidate. Either way I think he's pretty close so I would be hunting for really strong portfolio items because I think that can help sway things when someone is on the line.

Originally Posted by CalvinsDad
    yes, he was a sixth grader. I will submit the app for DYS. Also, I will sign him up for the ACT again next year.
    Yippee!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs