Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm feeling overwhelmed. I homeschool my 6 year old son through a public charter school program. He tested yesterday in language arts at 9th grade level!! I don't eve know how that's possible! I haven't even shown him anything past 3rd. In reading 2 weeks ago he tested at 7th grade level and in math at grade 3.5. What in the world am I supposed to do as his teacher?

C
    C
    Don't panic! The most likely explanation is that it's one of these confusing reports you have in the US where what it means is not that he is working like a 9th grader, but that on this test of 3rd grade material he did as well as a 9th grader tested on the 3rd grade material would probably do. Does that make sense given your knowledge of what test it was? I'm sure someone here knows specifics of the test if you don't.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I don't know why they put those grade equivalents on the test results either. It is the first thing that stands out. DS7 got grade equivalent of >12.9 in one section and I had the same thought...what is he going to learn in grade 2?

Note: Grade Equivalents usually means that the student understands the material as well as a 'X' grader would, not that they know the equivalent of 'X' grade material (unless out of grade level testing was done).

For example, a first grader tested (on first grade material) for math may test at a 10th grade equivalent meaning that they'd score about the same if a 10th grader was given the same test. It doesnt necessarily mean they know what's covered in 10th grade.

You DO have very good test results... I'm not sure exactly what was tested and if you did out of level testing but I wanted to clarify what grade equivalency means. It confused me the first time I read an achievement test result.

But again, very good scores.

JB

Whoops. I see ColinsMom said the same thing. I didn't read closely enough!

JB

Ditto. DS5 tested as having the problem-solving skills of a thirty year old person. Yet when he went to take his driving test, they rejected him. Something about not being able to reach the pedals.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    F
    F
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Ditto. DS5 tested as having the problem-solving skills of a thirty year old person. Yet when he went to take his driving test, they rejected him. Something about not being able to reach the pedals.

Thanks for the morning chuckle smile

J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I don't understand the testing very well myself. What I do know is (and I'm looking at the test and thinking it out right now) that everyone in the school takes the tests from 3rd grade and higher. My son is not in third grade, but in order to get all the ceiling he can get, they test his as a third grader. They each get a scaled score, a number, for example last time my son tested (Oct '10) his scaled score was 2169 (the average score for a 3rd was 2232). This time his scaled score was 2834 (and the average 3rd grade score was 2305). So for the Grade level equivalent they mean that the average 9th grader has a scaled score of 2834 as their scaled score. His percentile score was 99th percentile for a 3rd grader.
    I'll have to e-mail someone from the school maybe so they can tell me exactly what this means for my son. I was hoping to find someone on here with a similar situation so they could tell me what they did, or how things worked out for their child. Or what kinds of things I could do at higher levels, but that my 6 year old would enjoy.

Last edited by Jenafur; 06/08/11 07:54 AM.
    K
    K
    Do you know the name of the test? If it's a grade level test, I wouldn't panic too much. If it were open ended, I would be more worried (like the WJ, the Peabody K-12 achievement, etc)

With the extra info, it doesn't sound like you need to rush out and buy 9th grade instructional materials. Instead, since you're homeschooling, I would think about compacting (pretesting, then skipping blocks if mastery is shown) as much as possible with whatever curriculum you're using, giving bigger doses of more advanced spelling and vocab, etc. and just let him progress. I'd also make sure that his reading contains some material he finds challenging.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM