Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Kate
    you said you thought the LoF books were a hoot, but my eyes glazed over and my brain went slack when I browsed it! We are dealing with a rock-bottom math person trying to guide a mathy kid here!!

I thought I wasn't mathy either until I signed up for the Living Math forum and over the years have been relearning math through the math literature books listed on the forum owner's website. Math stories are a great way to learn/relearn math. I now find that I do have some math ability and because I'm learning it from stress-free stories vs. textbooks, my interest in math has soared and I'm able to keep up somewhat with my very mathy son's interests. I strongly recommend the Living Math forum and website for those who haven't heard of them:
    http://www.livingmath.net/ (go to reader lists tab for booklists organized by math topic)
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LivingMathForum/

I also strongly recommend the Murderous Maths series. My son, who loves Life of Fred, finds MM even more of a hoot. smile
    Visit the official site for more cool stuff:
    http://www.murderousmaths.co.uk/
    I've found that the Book Depository offers more competitive prices for buying them new (shipping is free worldwide):
    http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=murderous+maths

This is only personal opinion. I don't profit by recommending these books. Good luck!

Last edited by LDmom; 05/29/11 03:38 PM.
    N
    N
    you said you thought the LoF books were a hoot, but my eyes glazed over and my brain went slack when I browsed it! We are dealing with a rock-bottom math person trying to guide a mathy kid here!!

It is never too late to become mathy! I get graduate students who totally do 180s on the subject of math person-hood after taking our classes (mostly women who think they aren't good at math). It always makes me sad when people (again, mostly women) shut themselves off from such a beautiful and useful subject, generally because they had a crappy teacher in the past or someone told them they couldn't do math, or they were never taught fractions and that made algebra impossible etc. One of my goals in class is to remove math phobia and return self-confidence, and the results are stunning. Yes, you can do math. Yes, you can learn to love math. Even as a mom. My students do it all the time.

For US customers, Horrible Ray is THE way to go for Murderous Maths, Horrible Histories, and Horrible Science books, magazines, and you've not experienced history until you've seen the Monty Pythonest HH TV show.

http://www.horriblebooks.com/

Not related to Ray, just a Horrible repeat customer.

JB

N
    N
    Kate, you might also try a couple of books by Johnny Ball, called "Go Figure" and "Why Pi" -- DS8 has been so addicted to them for years that we had to buy them because we were wearing out the library's copies. We haven't tried LoF yet but we do intend to, this summer, so thanks for the extra recommendation!

I second Horrible Ray for LOF and Horrible books - fabulous service with a smirk. wink He even gave me a fanciful title when he sent me my first LOF book (for DS7), which just arrived last week.

That's funny. I seem to have ordered the first two LOF books from Horrible Ray completely by accident, through Amazon. I hope that the books are all they're cracked up to be.

can't say enough good things about the LOF books we love them over here...and Kate the dds have corrected me when I'm wrong or miss something, I'm not very mathy either... smile

Those look to be just what my niece (9) would enjoy. Thanks.

My son (4) is into fractions, but doesn't understand multiplication, so it might be something I will get him for later, too.

Originally Posted by Nicole2

It is never too late to become mathy! I get graduate students who totally do 180s on the subject of math person-hood after taking our classes (mostly women who think they aren't good at math). It always makes me sad when people (again, mostly women) shut themselves off from such a beautiful and useful subject, generally because they had a crappy teacher in the past or someone told them they couldn't do math, or they were never taught fractions and that made algebra impossible etc. One of my goals in class is to remove math phobia and return self-confidence, and the results are stunning. Yes, you can do math. Yes, you can learn to love math. Even as a mom. My students do it all the time.

This recommendation alone makes me want to buy these for "my son". LOL I'm an artist who has a dad who told her that she could never become an architect because "You're not good in math."

Last edited by Ametrine; 05/31/11 11:48 AM.
    Kate Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks so much for the great recommendations, but I have to say, you guys are killing me! You expect ME to get enthusiastic about math, too?!

Seriously, thanks for the pep talks smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM