Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Kate Life of Fred math books - 05/28/11 09:16 PM
We just discovered these through a friend: Life of Fred books about math written in story form. They are written by Stanley F. Schmidt.

DS8 is devouring them and I wish I had found them for him a year or two ago when he was begging for math and I didn't know what to do for him!

stanleyschmidt.com
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/28/11 09:35 PM
My son likes the books also, but I wonder if after reading a LoF book, for example Beginning Algebra, a gifted student should proceed to the next book in the series (Advanced Algebra) or cover Algebra I with a more traditional textbook.

Your son may also like "Algebra, the Easy Way" (and the trig and calculus books) by Downing. This book, like LoF, uses a narrative format.
Posted By: MidwestMom Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/28/11 09:43 PM
Both of my girls love LoF. We're using them for afterschooling.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/28/11 10:48 PM
I just placed a hold on the fractions book at our library! Tonight, we are reading a Sir Cumference book (from the library as well)
Posted By: JBDad Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/28/11 10:54 PM
Our experience is that our (very mathy) DS deveoured the LoF series up to about Algebra. We have the those later books but they didn't hold his interest as much. We definitely endorse LoF.

Thanks for the reference to the Downing books. They may fill a void.

JB
Posted By: Catalana Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/29/11 12:54 AM
My DS9 loves these books because of the storyline. He is accelerated 2 years in math (and jumps up one more year next year). I have never made him do the questions (if I homeschooled I would), but he loves reading the stories and seems to absorb quite a bit. He has done the first 3 books, and is begging me to get the next 3 (trig. geo. and something else, I'd have to check). Anyway, he recalls a lot of what he has learned just from reading the books.

I have read the fractions and decimal books and thought they were a hoot. I still have to read the alegbra ones, but they helped me with my math, so I cannot imagine they would not help a bright child.
Posted By: bh14 Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/29/11 02:16 AM
We too, LOVE LoF books! We have the fractions and the decimals one. They are amazing books. I wish schools used them! We do them for fun at home. They are just awesome!
Posted By: Kate Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/29/11 10:52 AM
Thanks for the other recommendations. DS is concurrently doing the Khan algebra lecture sequence and using the Harold Jacobs algebra textbook to get ready for Epsilon camp at the end of summer. Any free-time math reading you all can tell me about is much appreciated.

This is going to be a math-centric summer! (per DS's request) Since I am not mathy, I need help from you all smile For example, Catalana, you said you thought the LoF books were a hoot, but my eyes glazed over and my brain went slack when I browsed it! We are dealing with a rock-bottom math person trying to guide a mathy kid here!!
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/29/11 11:20 AM
Thanks for this! I just ordered the first two. DD and I read the sample of the first book together and she was absolutely tickled.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/29/11 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kate
Since I am not mathy, I need help from you all smile For example, Catalana, you said you thought the LoF books were a hoot, but my eyes glazed over and my brain went slack when I browsed it! We are dealing with a rock-bottom math person trying to guide a mathy kid here!!

I just want to let you know you are not alone. I'm not mathy either and my DS loves math. Some reccomendations - Check out mindware.com for interesting out of the box math, and Math alive series, http://www.amazon.com/Science-Math-Alive-Dawn-Stosch/dp/0761432132
Posted By: LDmom Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/29/11 10:35 PM
you said you thought the LoF books were a hoot, but my eyes glazed over and my brain went slack when I browsed it! We are dealing with a rock-bottom math person trying to guide a mathy kid here!!

I thought I wasn't mathy either until I signed up for the Living Math forum and over the years have been relearning math through the math literature books listed on the forum owner's website. Math stories are a great way to learn/relearn math. I now find that I do have some math ability and because I'm learning it from stress-free stories vs. textbooks, my interest in math has soared and I'm able to keep up somewhat with my very mathy son's interests. I strongly recommend the Living Math forum and website for those who haven't heard of them:
http://www.livingmath.net/ (go to reader lists tab for booklists organized by math topic)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LivingMathForum/

I also strongly recommend the Murderous Maths series. My son, who loves Life of Fred, finds MM even more of a hoot. smile
Visit the official site for more cool stuff:
http://www.murderousmaths.co.uk/
I've found that the Book Depository offers more competitive prices for buying them new (shipping is free worldwide):
http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=murderous+maths

This is only personal opinion. I don't profit by recommending these books. Good luck!
Posted By: Nicole2 Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/29/11 10:51 PM
you said you thought the LoF books were a hoot, but my eyes glazed over and my brain went slack when I browsed it! We are dealing with a rock-bottom math person trying to guide a mathy kid here!!

It is never too late to become mathy! I get graduate students who totally do 180s on the subject of math person-hood after taking our classes (mostly women who think they aren't good at math). It always makes me sad when people (again, mostly women) shut themselves off from such a beautiful and useful subject, generally because they had a crappy teacher in the past or someone told them they couldn't do math, or they were never taught fractions and that made algebra impossible etc. One of my goals in class is to remove math phobia and return self-confidence, and the results are stunning. Yes, you can do math. Yes, you can learn to love math. Even as a mom. My students do it all the time.
Posted By: JBDad Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 12:23 AM
For US customers, Horrible Ray is THE way to go for Murderous Maths, Horrible Histories, and Horrible Science books, magazines, and you've not experienced history until you've seen the Monty Pythonest HH TV show.

http://www.horriblebooks.com/

Not related to Ray, just a Horrible repeat customer.

JB
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 12:52 AM
Kate, you might also try a couple of books by Johnny Ball, called "Go Figure" and "Why Pi" -- DS8 has been so addicted to them for years that we had to buy them because we were wearing out the library's copies. We haven't tried LoF yet but we do intend to, this summer, so thanks for the extra recommendation!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 02:30 AM
I second Horrible Ray for LOF and Horrible books - fabulous service with a smirk. wink He even gave me a fanciful title when he sent me my first LOF book (for DS7), which just arrived last week.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 03:28 AM
That's funny. I seem to have ordered the first two LOF books from Horrible Ray completely by accident, through Amazon. I hope that the books are all they're cracked up to be.
Posted By: Skylersmommy Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 04:00 AM
can't say enough good things about the LOF books we love them over here...and Kate the dds have corrected me when I'm wrong or miss something, I'm not very mathy either... smile
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 06:04 AM
Those look to be just what my niece (9) would enjoy. Thanks.

My son (4) is into fractions, but doesn't understand multiplication, so it might be something I will get him for later, too.

Posted By: Ametrine Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by Nicole2

It is never too late to become mathy! I get graduate students who totally do 180s on the subject of math person-hood after taking our classes (mostly women who think they aren't good at math). It always makes me sad when people (again, mostly women) shut themselves off from such a beautiful and useful subject, generally because they had a crappy teacher in the past or someone told them they couldn't do math, or they were never taught fractions and that made algebra impossible etc. One of my goals in class is to remove math phobia and return self-confidence, and the results are stunning. Yes, you can do math. Yes, you can learn to love math. Even as a mom. My students do it all the time.

This recommendation alone makes me want to buy these for "my son". LOL I'm an artist who has a dad who told her that she could never become an architect because "You're not good in math."

Posted By: Kate Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 10:57 AM
Thanks so much for the great recommendations, but I have to say, you guys are killing me! You expect ME to get enthusiastic about math, too?!

Seriously, thanks for the pep talks smile
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by LittleCherub
When I glanced over the upper ones, I did see one or two places in the book that contained a word or two that I wished were not there(we are on the cautious side about book content), though overall they were fine. Guess the author probably had middle school and up aged kids in mind when he wrote those relatively higher level books.

Mr. Schmidt thinks algebra is not for pre-pubescent children: "There is an old saying that you shouldn't start algebra until you have hair under your arms. A child's brain needs to develop physiologically before tackling the abstractions that algebra contains." http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/32%20pre-algebra.html . I disagree with him and buy his books for my 7yo boy anyway.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Life of Fred math books - 05/30/11 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bostonian
[quote=LittleCherub]
Mr. Schmidt thinks algebra is not for pre-pubescent children: "There is an old saying that you shouldn't start algebra until you have hair under your arms. A child's brain needs to develop physiologically before tackling the abstractions that algebra contains." http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/32%20pre-algebra.html . I disagree with him and buy his books for my 7yo boy anyway.
Waiting for that specific part of puberty would exclude even my non-mathy dd12 at this point and she did just finish accelerated Algebra I in 8th grade with an A in the class. I can't see waiting for specific physical development to ascertain when my dc is ready for a certain academic subject. Some kids are hitting puberty really young and some are physically later bloomers. Does that make kids who are in precocious puberty smarter or more abstract thinkers than kids who hit it at a typical time or later?
Posted By: jenbrdsly Re: Life of Fred math books - 07/16/11 06:49 PM
It is fun reading other people's opinions about LOF. I still want to check out the Murderous Math series.

Here is my review of LOF Fractions, after reading it with my son.

http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/06/too-many-algorithims-in-life-of-fred/
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum