Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    T
    Trip Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks Inky for this link. Is there a similar site for Math MAP as well?

Someone asked here if the headphones are really one - yes they are on !

F
    F
    I'm not inky.. but we use this link for reading and math

http://www.belleplaine.k12.mn.us/se...3&myButton=g5plugin&db=g133_b545

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Trip
    Someone asked here if the headphones are really one - yes they are on !

That was me! I asked because if they are on and sound is coming out- then it is P-MAP not MAP. P-MAP reads aloud most of the material and questions. The MAP test (generally for kids in grades 3+ but some use it in 2nd like my son's school) does not read the questions to the kids.

My son's MAP score was significantly higher than his P-MAP, despite only about 8 weeks between tests. We believe this is because the P-MAP was just too slow for him and he started daydreaming waiting for it to finish reading the stuff. He also does far better reading questions on his own than listening to them.

L
    L
    Hi, I'm new here but really frustrated with my son's school. He's in 2nd grade but since he is bright to start with and started school a year early in England then was forced to repeat first grade in Texas we have more issues.

Anyway, reading this thread has helped me. I got his MAP scores yesterday and was really upset by how much his reading has dropped. We do testing 3 times a year, so his past 6 scores starting fall of first grade and ending at spring of 2nd grade are:
    reading: 185, 190, 207, 193, 202, 197
    math: 184, 202, 201, 200, 211, 207

I had someone else say to me that the drop is probably because he isn't learning anything new which makes sense.

Now my biggest question is this. How do I convince the school they need to do being more for him (and others like him)? They very much teach to the middle, bringing the top of the class down to the middle and hoping to bring the bottom up.

I
    I

I
    I
    Originally Posted by LauraJane
    How do I convince the school they need to do being more for him (and others like him)?
    That's the million dollar question many of us are here trying to figure out. crazy

I did notice a drop in my daughter's scores as she switched from P-MAP in 1st grade to 2nd grade and her teacher said that they were seeing that with many children. It looks like he met the expected growth for the year on the winter testing but it's disappointing to see both scores go down in spring.

Here's what NWEA says about negative growth:
    http://www.nwea.org/support/article/554/negative-growth

I'd ask him if any of those factors were an issue. Otherwise, it could be that he's not getting enough material in his zone of proximal development.

X
    X
    It is frustrating. It is the same way in our school and with my child. I think the kids need help when they are reading at 4th 5th grade level to understand and explore the material that is at that grade level. Since they have reached this level on their own they are indicating thay are ready to move forward but they need more attention, they are telling us that parents and teachers this is how far we could go, now can you help us a little here.
    The teachers time and energy is taken away by the difficult and weaker kids and the smarter ones are left on their own to go figure out.
    If the performance goes down then the reason given is lack of attention and seriousness !!!
    What to do about it - I have no idea.
    I am also surprised by the fact that almost all the kids in the class are reading the same books from the library. So all of a sudden all these kids who were not reading properly have caught up and the kids who were performing high have gone down - what happened here?

F
    F
    I am joing the reading scores dropping conversation... dd7 had met her annual goal after winter MAP and her spring MAP her score dropped. Could it be because her mind was developing more in math? Her growth in math for the year was 16 points where typical growth is 11 (reading she grew 5 points and that is typical)

I
    I
    I had a similar thing happen with my DD7. Looking at other data points, her reading progressed well this year. Here's what NWEA has to say about triangulation of data:
    http://www.nwea.org/support/article/528/triangulation-data

F
    F
    inky is dd in 1st grade or second? Mine is in 1st. I am wondering a few things here...
    1. she wears glasses and has since 13 months. The 2nd day of testing she came home in tears. She told me she had trouble reading the screen. She didn't want to read that night.
    2. her math scores sky rocketed. Can that have something to do with it? DD's RIT 2 points and percentile went down 8

eta .. based on her math map they are skipping 2nd grade math and placing her in 3rd next year.. yea for subject acceleration without having to ask for it!

Sheila

Last edited by frannieandejsmom; 05/27/11 05:47 AM.
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM