Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
    M
    M
    1st grader went through phases this year of reading A to Z mysteries, Magic Tree House and Beast Quest books. His passion right now is Greek mythology thanks to the Percy Jackson series. He read all 5 of those, Rick Riordan's The Lost Hero (same author) and is now reading The Red Pyramid.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    I bought a Geronimo Stilton book today for Frannie.. she knocked it out in about 2 hours... I guess we are on to Little House on the Prairie or Charolette's Web

M
    M
    I had not seen Geronimo Stilton books in the U.S. bookstores and saw a shelf full with them at a bookstore in India. I bought three of them yesterday. I love the books, wanted to read them myself. I so hope my son will love them as well.

U
    U
    DD is almost done with all the Ramona books. These are great for young advanced readers since the reading level is fairly high but the content is young.

For fairy lovers, the Fairy Realm series by Emily Rodda is more challenging and better quality than Rainbow Fairies.

Roald Dahl, Little House on the Prairie (you may want to discuss the attitudes towards Indians) and EB White have been much enjoyed here.

For dreck series, we have steamed through A to Z Mysteries, Puppy Place, Magic Puppy/Kitten. These are easier. She has also been reading Nancy Drew, which I am rather meh on.

She enjoyed the Indian in the Cupboard and The Fairy Rebel (same author).

FWIW, Anne of Green Gables would be too hard for her, although she easily reads at a 5th/6th grade level. It's got a lot of high-level vocabulary and moves fairly slowly.

My DS7 has another string of AR quizzes he needs to take, so what he's been reading is fresh in my mind:
    A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Madeline L'Engle
    The Witches, Roald Dahl
    The Horse and His Boy, C.S.Lewis
    Star Wars, Attack of the Clones
    Penrose the Mathematical Cat, Theoni Pappas

Last edited by st pauli girl; 05/18/11 07:38 AM.
    U
    U
    This is a very nice list that I have bookmarked--DD has enjoyed many of them.

http://www.examiner.com/gifted-children-in-national/info-101-book-list-for-young-gifted-readers

U
    U
    Oh, also, the Wayside School books are very funny. DD has also been reading Peanuts and Calvin and Hobbes compilations. Peanuts is really quite deep, as is C &H! (However, she complains that Calvin is "a sexist.")

Ooh, I've got to get my son into L'Engle. Right now he continues to read lots of comics. The Geronimo Stilton books look like they might be right up his alley interest-wise, and I have had "George's Secret Key" on my wish list for a while too. Lots of great suggestions in this thread.

The highest-level book he's reading right now is "Ender's Game", where he's a few chapters in (it's our bedtime book, which he reads to me). I have to find time to read ahead in that for him, since IIRC there are some challenging topics (e.g. animal torture) that I may not want him to read about. I'm surprised by how easy the vocab in that book is (making it a great one for learning spelling), although I think the content, structure and near stream-of-consciousness bits make it a plenty challenging read for him technically and otherwise. He's also enjoying the Narnia books right now.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    U
    U
    DD is now deeply engrossed in The Penderwicks, which looks pretty great, from my brief scan. It's also an award-winner, and there are sequels.

Last edited by ultramarina; 06/08/11 08:51 AM.
    At about 6 my older dd started what I call her self help reading, the first book that caught her attention was "the big book of girl stuff" by Bart King she walked out of the book store reading it almost bumping into things because she wouldn't look up from the book, lol next was an American girl book "the care and keeping of you" and many more very similar types of books... it's her favorite type of reading even now. She had to read Little house on the prairie for a school report last year (so she was 7) but hated it was just not her type of book.

The younger one who is now 6 likes "the puppy place"books "Perfectly Princess books" these really got her started on reading chapter books, and she also loves the Disney Fairy books, Bindi's Adventures, Roscoe Riley,and I can't forget about "inside the human body" she has read that about 10 times..it has plastic model of what the inside of the body looks like with a bunch of facts on each page...she loves these kinds of books. smile

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM