Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    I find if I let dd choose books herself, she will always select down from her reading levels (Ivy and Bean, Thea Stilton, graphic novels about various Super Heroes). While I don't mind some of that in terms of reading for pleasure, I do sometimes nudge her to try books I've selected (especially ones I've read about on this site). It's a fine line - because I want her to have some independence to choose what she reads - but I also want her to keep herself challenged.

We do shared reading to address this. She picks her own books to read at night, on Saturdays, etc. otherwise we share a book. She reads a page, I read a page. I am currently reading 'Some of My Best Friends are Books' which is very very helpful. Recently we shared the George books by Lucy and Stephen Hawking. We both loved them. While they are still technically below her reading level, they are a step up from Geronimo Stilton. I'm hoping she will learn to trust/enjoy my choices.

My dd fondly remembers reading these between 1st and 2nd:

Nate the Great mysteries
    My side of the Mountain
    The Doll People (series)
    any book by Roald Dahl

smile

V
    V
    My son is really into the Hardy Boys now, but Magic Tree House was big last summer. I think it was a great series for building his confidence in reading. He also recently discovered the Paddington Bear series. He also likes Harry Potter, but we usually read those together before bed.

R
    R
    DS6 loved everything and anything by Louis Sachar, starting with Wayside School stories and ending with Holes. He has read a number of R. Dahl books, Catwings by Ursala Le Guin, and is currently reading the Fudge series by Judy Blume.

M
    M
    Love Catwings, Rocky--aren't those books great?

Chico (still in K, but thought you wouldn't mind if I jumped in here anyway) has been reading his usual eclectic mix--right now, it's anything about hydraulics that he can get his hands on, plus a steady diet of Little Lulu comics! Funny bunny....

peace
    minnie

PS If anyone has a child interested in French, we have been getting some Bayard Jeunesse mags--Pomme d'Api is pitched nicely at 5 or 6 year olds--Chico has been enjoying them a lot, and they are really helping with his French.

DS who should be in second grade has discovered Stephen Hawking. He was assigned the first book as a reading assignment in class and has now completed the second.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    A
    A
    Neat, which book was he assigned? Reminds me of when DS10 was a little guy (1st or 2nd grade, I forget) He wouldn't brush his teeth before bed unless his dad read Hawking's A Brief History of Time out loud while he brushed (there was mega-OCD, stress/anxiety issues going on with the tooth brushing - this was one thing that worked for him. Thankfully we are over that these days!)

at that age DS mostly read adult weather books, almost exclusively non-fiction. He also liked to go to bed with a big calculator and work things out for about 30 min before going to sleep. He only got interested in reading fiction this past year in school. He did read the 1st HP in kindergarten but had more interest in fact than fantasy. He inhaled the entire HP series last quarter, reads a alot of fantasy now.

DD7 is in 2nd grade and is into Judy Moody, Wimpy Kid, Ellie McDoodle, Goonie Bird Greene, Clementine, Just Grace, etc

The original babar books always delighted me when I was a little kid; both my kids have loved the stories around age 5. (available in english or french)
    Ds loved captain underpants, the timewarp trio and harry potter books ( mostly read to him at that point as he was not an early reader). Also, Frannie K. Stein books.

M
    M
    DS6 just discovered Catwings as well. He's also crazy about the Deltora Quest series.

M
    M
    Both of my DDs read Junie B. Jones books in first grade. *sigh* I absolutely could not stand them. (The books, not my girls.)

DD#1 also really liked books by Roald Dahl. During the summer before she started first grade, we took turns reading the Flat Stanley books. They were a bit too long for her to read by herself at that point.

DD#2 is a girly girl, and enjoyed reading the Yellow Princess, Pink Princess, etc. books in first and second grade. She also <shudder> read many of the Rainbow Fairies books.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM