Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #101170 05/02/11 04:33 PM
    OP Offline
    My 5 year old starts kindergarten in the fall. Because she already knew her letters, numbers, shapes, and colors I saw no reason to put her in preschool. We did an early enrollment kindergarten because her birthday is at the end of december so she will be an older kindergartener. She now knows how to read and can add and subtract single digit numbers. The only things I think they go over in kindergarten that she doesn't know are money and time though she does know the time on the hour and half hour. She has problems with doing the work if she has done it before. She gets really bored and says she can't. I know she does this only when she is bored, because when we do new stuff she is so excited. She takes ballet and the teacher has told me she is really talented because she only has to show her once and she can do it. She is the oldest of four and her 4 year old sister is showing some of the same signs just with a better attitude about relearning. Does anyone have any advice for me? None of my kids have been tested I can't afford it, but I thought they would get tested in school am I wrong? Because if so I will find the money some how so that they are taught and not just left waiting.

Welcome trinanina-

What do you know about the school you plan to send your DD to for kindergarten? It might be a good idea to go sit in on a kindy class to see how they do things. I would suggest doing some investigation. For example, what does the school do with kids who already know many of the curriculum items. Do they group the kids? Do they ever subject accelerate (e.g., let the child to 1st grade math or reading)?

As for testing, what is your plan for this? Usually, I wouldn't recommend testing unless there is a reason such as getting into a particular program or skipping a grade. Are you considering a grade skip? What are the rules in your district? District web-sites many times will list all their policies. It is unclear from the information that you have posted whether or not your DD would be a good candidate for a skip.

While you are asking the school about what they do with kids who already know much of the curriculum, it can't hurt to ask them if they would be willing to test your DD. Some school districts will, to help with placement.

Finally, there are many other things to learn in kindergarten, mainly "doing school." If your DD has not gone to preschool, it could be a big adjustment to learn how to get along in a big group of kids for the whole day.

Hope my ramblings help a little, at least in terms of some more thing to think about!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 05/02/11 05:01 PM.
    P
    P
    Trinania,

I second spgirl. She knows how to read- is it level 1, 4-5 or chapter books? You will be surprised to know that many kinders know how to read already but some do not know A to Z. It depends a lot on the parental involvement and there is a huge knowledge gap between kinder kids. (in my DD's class in 1st grade last year, some had reading level of kinder and some at 6th grade level). Some schools have good community and the kids tend to perform better and their kinders are truly ready for school.

So-

1) check the school and the school district. A lot of district posted their curriculum in the website and see if your DD already knew what kinders needed to know. Then, check if they can do the grade skipping. If the school is awesome school and very competitive, I will let her stay in K. If the school is not that, I would request a grade skip, granted that she completed K curriculum.

2) if she is doing chapter book independently and more than 2 digit addition, subtraction, she will be ready to skip to 1st.

But bear in mind that grade skipping is not always easy. If your DD is mature, she will breeze through it. My DD7 was born in March and she grade skipped to 1st as well as my DD9 (born in October). My DD7 has no probelm and the principals asked me if we wanted to skip one more grade but my DD9 may come home with B grade sometimes (since 3rd grade).

Some district test grade skip before the school year (during registration) and some school does it only after 3-6 weeks. There may be Talented and gifted assessment too. The parents nominate and the teacher sign off on it and they will test the kids. At least, it will give you an idea how your DD is and you may decide later on whether to move up or stay on.

The funny thing is when they test for grade skipping, they will not test her kinder level, they will test 1st or 2nd grade level.

Good luck with the school!

Peter

F
    F
    We are also looking at a kinder grade skip. In our district one of the things they have to do is score a min 90 percentile of end of yer kinder MAP.

Originally Posted by trinaninaphoenix
    We did an early enrollment kindergarten because her birthday is at the end of december so she will be an older kindergartener.

I don't understand this part. Will your dd be an older kindergartener? What is 'early enrollment?'

Does your school have a Gifted Coordinator? If so, can you set up a meeting with her/him so that the program can be explained? Perhaps bring in some sample books and worksheets so that the GC can get a flavor of what DD is doing?

If there is no GC at your school then things are more 'Wild West' which can be better or worse - but it sure is different. I would recommend you call the school NOW, and arrange to visit a kindy class while school is in session and observe what happens to the ones who are more advanced. While you are at it, try and observe a few of the 1st grade classes. Watch for ways in which the teacher tries to teach everyone at their own level. Look at the books on the classroom Library shelf. Ask yourself: 'What messages will my child internalize about herself by being in this environment 5 days a week for many hours a day?'

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Early enrollment is where your child gets to do half a year of kindergarten. California does this for kids that turn 5 after the regular school cut off. If you can find a school that does it, mostly only homeschool programs or charter schools do this. I just started enrollment process. They seemed really to busy when I picked up the packet and when I told them she could already read they said well she will be ahead of her class. I am concerned about this so when I go back with her paper work I am going to ask more questions and thanks for the gifted coordinator I will definitely ask about that.

Early enrollment is where your child gets to do half a year of kindergarten. California does this for kids that turn 5 after the regular school cut off.
    thanks for the info - very interesting - so is the point to do 1.5 years of kindy or do the kids generally move up to 1st grade after their half year of kindy.

((You can guess what I'm thinking - something along the lines of 'not sure the point of 1.5 years of kindy for a kid who is already reading' yes?))

So is this a homeschool program or a charter school? Would your DD be allowed to stay with this program the following year?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

OP Offline
    You end up doing a year and a half of kindergarten unless the teacher moves you up. I wanted to continue homeschool or put her in a half and half charter, but she really wants to try regular school. So my husband and I decided to let her. I figure even though I know she will be bored, she gets some say in her education, and kindergarten as long as I work with her at home is the easiest to switch her out of. But I still worry, because I know not all teachers tell you what they are learning, and they may try to force me to have her tested for add or adhd. She doesn't pay attention well when she already knows stuff. I had to skip 4 chapters in reading because it was so hard to make her do the work and she found a book that she could read with all the stuff I was trying to teach her. She doesn't do well with repeat work. It takes her hours and she drys through it. She doesn't get practice makes perfect and it is hard for her.

She doesn't get practice makes perfect and it is hard for her.
    I'm not sure that practice does make perfect if the task isn't in one's 'readiness to learn' level.

It seems fairly harmless to try kindy if the child wants to 'learn the hard way' as long as you have alternatives if they are needed.

In a way, the younger the student population, the more comfortable the teachers tend to be with kids being at wildly different readiness levels. Preschool teachers are often the best, with Kindy teachers a close second. This is one of those instances where 'the best' might be awful, but it's less awful than those years after 3rd grade where the expectation is that the kids will 'all even out.'

It's at least exciting that the teachers have the option of advancing a child after half a year - that's quite unusual and perhaps a good sign.

I don't think that schools test for ADHD, and there is a limit to how much pressure they can try to apply to the parents. Do you think you'll be vulnerable to their arm-twisting? Have you heard stories of local families getting undue pressure?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

J
    J
    Testing in school is a district and/or state decision, so you'd have to check your state's rules and regulations.

My DS got tested in K but that was because his teacher recognized that he needed more than K. When your DD starts, go to her teacher and ask her what YOU can do as your DD's mom to help, as she can read and do addition & subtraction. I stressed to DS's teacher that he would have behavior issues if he wasn't challenged.

I think if I bombarded his K teacher, DS wouldn't have gotten the testing at school right off. Grade skipping (he has a December birthday as well) has been the BEST decision for us.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...