Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 273 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    LDmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think I should have started a new thread when I asked this. Sorry! Thanks for any answers you have!

Originally Posted by LDmom
    I'm grateful for the DYS, extended norms thread. Thank you to all who answered and to Rockpeaguac for asking!

Please excuse my questions. Although I'm not new to giftedness research, I previously didn't have to research IQ testing much because I didn't plan to have DS tested, at least till much later. We now feel we have a need to do it and have an appointment for this week and it's not something we're paying lots of money for so I'm not sure how much I can ask for from the psych.

My questions:

1. If DS8 hits ceilings on the WISC IV, will he automatically qualify for extended norms scoring or will I have to consult the psych again to score the extended norms? Can I consult another psych to score the extended norms since the first psych is doing it for us for cheaper and may not do more than just the standard Wisc? Or can I actually compute the extended norms on my own from the Tech Report?

2. DS doesn't usually do well in math for timed tests although math is his current all-consuming passion. Rock mentioned how her son is obsessed about one thing after another and my DS is the same. Yet he scored lowest in math for the Explore recently and I know it's due to running out of time. Given the number of questions he missed, he still exceeds the grade-related DYS minimum so I believe he must have answered correctly for most of the questions. But I'm a little nervous about the Wisc and I'd love to hear about others' testing experience, especially for kids who don't like to be timed.

Thank you!

LDmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you Dottie! Yes this helps heaps! (lots of happy smiles).

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Our tester did not know of extended norms so I mentioned it to her and emailed her the Technical Report data. She then calculated them for us and included them in her written report, where all results were clearly marked: with and without extended norms.

LDmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you Mam. Our tester doesn't seem to know of extended norms either...your reply is very helpful!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent