I've had numerous conferences with his teacher, who seems eager to help and has already put in tons of extra work for him. She was the one who suggested the subject acceleration for math, and while he's enjoying it, I'm getting very little feedback from the second grade teacher. DS says it's "mostly easy", though, and he's not the type to refrain from complaining if he is having to work too hard. I have spoken to the principal, and briefly mentioned the possibility of acceleration (among other options). He said grade skipping was something he had never seen done in the district, and left it at that. I've recently learned (I think) that this wasn't true - a little girl in my neighborhood says she skipped second grade. (She's now in fourth - so I can't guarantee that what she says is true, but she is small compared to her classmates). I feel like I'm constantly emailing, calling, or meeting with someone, and I don't want to be the parent that everyone ignores because I always have a complaint of some sort. (I used to be a teacher, and can tell you that in extreme cases, they just stop paying attention to the parents who constantly whine, so I'm trying to pick my battles and tread carefully).
For the record, I don't want to skip him right now. I would rather let him finish up the year, then start fresh in third grade next year. His birthday is in October, so he's not that much younger than his classmates - so I don't think his social life will suffer much, if at all.

Last edited by treecritter; 04/21/11 06:22 AM.