Originally Posted by treecritter
He's averaging about 85% on the second grade tests, and about 60% on the third grade tests. And, to be honest, I've never taught him most of the things on those tests, and I know he hasn't learned it in school. So I have no idea how he learned a lot of it. FIrst of all, the 85% on the tests. Is that good enough to skip? I want him to be challenged, but I don't want him to be totally overwhelmed, or for him to miss 15% of what he is supposed to learn in second grade.
If you son had been in 2nd grade and scored 85% on his 'final exams' would you consider having him repeat 2nd grade? Probably not. If the IQ scores support that the child is gifted, or unusually gifted, then 85% -without a drop of effort or teaching or exposure - is probably just right. You want to put him where he would be able to get As with some effort.

As for the bad attitude at school - that may well clear up if they start giving him some work in his readiness zone. Of if not, you still have plenty of time before grades count in High School to figure it out.

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com