A few thoughts of mine.... Sometimes when I hear myself "gearing" up for the big fight or whatever, I realize that my own stuff has been triggered. When my own stuff is triggered, like the lack of recognition that I got through school, or swallowing the bitter taste of boredom for years at a time, I have to find a quiet way to nurture myself and then face the others. I am not sure what people notice or if its even true, but it seems when I have my stuff in order advocating for my kiddo is smoother with the school personnel. This board has helped me tons with getting to that place.

When my kiddo was in fourth grade they gave her the year end math test for fourth grade and she scored 84% on it..... I could not believe they were going to make her do a whole year worth of stuff to get 15% of material that she needed.... Through a school switch mid-year the new school took her from fourth and put her in sixth grade math with three months of the school year left. My daughter had quite a few gaps. Enough that I actually attended class with her for the first three days to show how to do some of the basic stuff that she missed so she could focus on the more advanced stuff. Those three months were I think some of my daughters favorite months in math. She shone and loved the challenge. She ended as the top student in the class. I think she was missing more than the 15% at the beginning but not having to learn all the basics with tons of repetition made her really happy. We asked for a grade skip at that point, but they scared us off with the whole older dating friends and driving deal even admitting that academically she could handle it. Now as we are in middle school I wish I had pushed for the grade skip because we are still waiting for the chance to get to the more challenging classes,high school and dual enrollment....