Originally Posted by MumOfThree
"The gifted co-ordinator was not very "gifted" herself and that was a problem". Which was kind of an "Ah-ha!" moment for me. I am guessing this may often be the case, my question is - does it matter? Is someone that has never not had to work to understand their age appropriate class word, never been isolated by their intellect going to actually understand our kids? And why are they so interested in the first place (our gifted ed teacher has masters or is doing a PhD in gifted ed, I can't remember which)?

Hi Mumof3

To me this is very much like any question of representation - do you have to look like me/be like me/walk in my shoes to be able to advocate for me. The answer I think comes down to personal preference - do you need the person to intuitively understand where you are coming from or simply be open to and educated about where you are coming from. But also the attitude of the individual matters. For example, someone who is gifted and had their experience might then use their experience to guide all decisions despite LOG or any of the other factors that might influence placement. Someone who is not gifted necessarily or is optimally gifted might be open to all ranges and all levels because they have no presets regarding experiences.

I think actions matter more than innate understanding - 1 gifted coordinator might refuse to 'see' your daughter and then deny, obfuscate, etc while another might be open to anything you want.

DeHe