As DD gets older we don't encounter this much anymore. We really didn't encounter it too much when she was a toddler because DD is shy, but the other day while picking her up from school I was taken back by another mother's comment. One of DD's classmates has a 18 mth old sister and she was talking about what her sister can say which led to DD commenting on how she would say "What's this" all the time. The mom looked a little shocked and said "Well, that probably explains why your so smart." I was a little taken back by the comment. We, the parents, don't hang out in the class with them and only see the other kids at drop off and pick up. Perhaps with her few conversations with DD she figured it out or maybe her daughter talks. Not really sure.

As for the beauty side ... now that one we still get all the time. DD is a gorgeous child and we still get the sucked in breath and comments from strangers. Even at school, the teachers are always quick to comment to me about DD and her looks. DD has her own way of answering the comments. She smiles and says "Yeah, I was born this way." LOL Later on in life that is really going to sound conceited but she manages to do it in away that is matter of fact.