What do you say when parents who see your DC doing something very GT, comment on it in front of your DC about how smart they must be...? And how do you handle it with your DC?

As an example, DS9 frequently goes through spurts where he wants to read something challenging. Earlier this year, it was Lord of the Rings. The other day, he was reading the original Count of Monte Cristo (probably more impressive by its page count than its level) at his younger brother's baseball game.

One of the other parents saw him reading it, and asked him whether he'd forgotten his own book and was reading something I brought. DS answered that it was his book, and the oohs and ahhs followed about how impressive and smart he must be, etc....

I encourage DS to read at the level he likes (as long as we clear content), and I think it's great that he wants to push himself in this area. But DS has this tendency to want to impress people. He doesn't pick the books purely to "look impressive" and will read them at home for hours when he has the time, and frequently will re-read them a couple months later for better comprehension. But he readily admits that he enjoys the attention he gets when people see him reading something above level.

Not sure what to say to DS or to the OOOHs and AAAHs when they happen when I'm around.

Any thoughts?