Originally Posted by mich
It is not unusual to have fluctuations in IQ scores at such an early age. I see a stable pattern between each WISC test - Strengths in non verbal reasoning (PRI) relative to verbal reasoning (VCI), and strong scores on skills associated with work output (WMI and PSI). Why did the PSI increase so much? Not sure - it relies heavily on solid visual motor and processing - and your child's scores on both subtests were very high. He seems to get work done quickly! His working memory is also very strong - again, my guess is that he can efficiently take in, understand and respond to new information. Not only are his thinking skills strong (VCI and PRI), but his ability to show what he knows is excellent.

I am less familiar with SB. But, looking at the scores, I notice a big difference in his working memory score between WISC and SB. (123/94% vs 94/34%) I'm not sure if the subtests measuring WM are very different between the two tests, or maybe he was just not on his game that day. Although the absolute numbers differ between the WISC and SB, the pattern of stronger non verbal skills compared to verbal still exists.

Comparing his achievement scores on the WJ to the WIAT, there is a bit of a drop. I don't know if this is a drop in his skill level relative to his peers, or a difference in the two tests and what/how they measure achievement. You mention that the school claims he has low vocabulary - I don't see test scores in this area.

Thanks mich,

I do see that pattern of VCI lower than PRI in all tests. I was suggested that since he tends to read so fast, he doesn't worry about the little details or asking for the meaning of the words he doesn't yet know, therefore, the reading comprehension gets affected. I do see some of that since I always have to get him to slow down during tasks, also during writing. I also think is the way he thinks, which is hard to explain, but his logic is a little odd sometimes, until he explains things and then I make sense of what he means. So I got some reading comprehension materials to help him develop that area better so that it doesn't affect him in the future, even at grade level.

Drago's Mom

Drago - age 8, male, something else in a funny way!