Originally Posted by Dottie
The change from the WJ to the WIAT is probably more about the age change (6 to 8) than a difference in what the tests measure. Higher scores are much easier to obtain when younger kids come out of the starting gate strong. I agree with Mich's overall comments. I think it's important to keep in mind that you can't look at IQ results and say "Kid A has a 16 in vocabularly and Kid B has a 14...therefore Kid A has much higher vocabulary skills". You have to look for patterns of highs, and collective data over time, laid alongside achievement data, etc.

I do think it's significant that the SB has a different summary though. It doesn't seem like the same child, although fluid reasoning and visual spatial are probably the closest SB scores to the WISC's PRI.

I would also expect the bilingual thing to have its impact in the verbal areas. With his November birthdate, he'd probably be just fine in the higher grade, but if nothing really is at an astonishing level, it might be best to keep him where he is. What's sad is that your school (and mine) don't do much at all with advanced learners in elementary. My guess is he would do great in top high school classes when the time comes, but it would be nice if he could get his feet wet before then.

Thank you for your input. I see what you're saying about the scores and how we look at them. The IQ testing to me show more of his learing style and strengths and weaknesses, but I give more importance to the level he's performing at the time and how that affect his performance and behavior at school.

My goal wasn't really to have him advanced (even though I know he can handle the grade), but to get the school to do "something." Fortunately, 1st grade teacher was able to just "get him." She would challenge him with books that he would read once he finished his other class work; she requested testing (I believe CoGat) back then and he barely missed the cutoff, she got him into 2nd grade reading, etc. The little challenge provided was enough to get him going and that's all I cared about.

This year, same school, but a whole different story. He's very bored and tired of all the repetition and went from loving school to hating school. I asked for differentiation and got none. Even though he did excellent on reading class the year prior, this year he was placed on the same 2nd grade reading level again, even repeating some of the books from the prior year. He's currently able to solve multiplication and division problems in math, and they're still on addition and subtraction. He's a visual learner and very fast at catching the reasoning behing math problems with little introduction, so the repetition is really frustrating him.

My worries with him is that he would get used to work being too easy all the time and would not be ready when real challenges come his way such as in High School, College or even middle school. I do some homeschooling with him since once he's interested in something, he wants to learn more and more, but unfortunately as a single mom, it's not a full time option for us.

Fortunately, he has been accepted to go to a gifted charter school next year in town, but as I'm contemplating a relocation before next year, and I want it to be a permanent move, I want him to have a good start at whatever school he ends up going to and make sure his needs are met.

Drago's Mom

Drago - age 8, male, something else in a funny way!