Hi..

This is my first posting, so please be patient. :-)

I have a few questions on testing. A little history first...

My son was tested by independent tester while on Kindergarten on WISC-IV and WJ-III at age 6.2. He pretty much had already mastered K subjects when he started, letters, colors, shapes, numbers, some math, reading at about 4 years old, etc. I tried entering him into K early and also advance him once in, without any luck (birthday in late Nov). Several schools since then, some good, some bad, lack of challenge, material too easy, behaviors triggered by boredom (most of them at least), etc.

Now he is 8.4 years old and he is in 2nd grade and I tried to advanced him to 3rd grade, since he can easily finish the 3rd grade at this point due to his academic level. This time I put my request on paper. School wanted to re-test; they did the SB-V and some achievement testing and results seem to be a lot lower than the scores of 2 years earlier. School used the testing to basically "un-gift" him and shut down advancement request to 3rd grade. They claimed his earlier scores were "inaccurate" due to his young age.

After meeting with a psychologist to address some self-esteem and behavior issues that the whole ordeal with the school has caused on him, psych suggested to retest. Independent tester used WISC-IV, WIAT-III and GORT-IV along many other behavioral scales and such. This time results were closer than those 2 years ago.

He has also been evaluated for ADHD (ruled out, he is active, but not ADHD hyper or inattentive), Asperger's (ruled out, but he does have some social deficiencies) and Sensory Integration Disorder (he does have this, mostly fine motor skills, gross motor skills, overwhelm by environment sounds and colors, bugging clothing tags, etc).

Finally, questions:

1. His verbal scores are significantly lower (even though still average or high average). At first testing they thought it was because of bilingual (at the time), now not so much. I think is due to reading fast and not taking time to find the meaning of words, or because of odd or creative thinking. His vocabulary might be limited because mine is, due to ESL, but he should be grasping it from school. Could this be a sign of a disability? I thought about Asperger's since I still think he has a mild case. Any thoughts?

2. Why is there so much difference between the WISC-IV score results and the SB-V score?

3. Does the difference between the WISC-IV scores at age 6.2 and the same test at age 8.3 seem right? Why would the PRI and the PSI basically switch around?

Thank you for any inputs. Please see all scores below.

--- IQ Testing ---

- WISC-IV at age 6.2 - FSIQ 129 (97 percentile)

VCI 102 (55 percentile)
Similarities - 11
Vocabulary - 9
Comprehension - 12

PRI 143 (99.8 percentile)
Block Design - 16
Picture Concepts - 16
Matrix Reasoning - 19

WMI 123 (94 percentile)
Digit Span - 11
Letter-Number Sequencing - 17
(Arithmetic - 13)

PSI 121 (92 percentile)
Coding - 12
Symbol Search - 15

- WISC-IV at age 8.3 - FSIQ 124 (95 percentile)

VCI 99 (47 percentile)
Similarities - 9
Vocabulary - 12
Comprehension - 9

PRI 121 (92 percentile)
Block Design - 13
Picture Concepts - 12
Matrix Reasoning - 15

WMI 123 (94 percentile)
Digit Span - 15
Letter-Number Sequencing - 13

PSI 138 (99 percentile)
Coding - 17
Symbol Search - 17

- SB-V at age 8.1 - FSIQ 111 (77 percentile)
(Performed by school)

NVIQ - 117 (87 percentile)
VIQ - 105 (63 percentile)

Factor Index Scores:
Fluid Reasoning - 123 (94 percentile)
Knowledge - 106 (66 percentile)
Quantitative Reasoning - 108 (70 percentile)
Visual Spatial - 117 (87 percentile)
Working Memory - 94 (34 percentile)

--- Achievement Testing ---

- WJ-III Achievement at age 6.2

Letter-Word Identification - 140 (99.6 percentile) (3.2 grade)
Passage Comprehension - 125 (95 percentile) (1.8 grade)
Calculation - 127 (96 percentile) (2.0 grade)
Applied Problems - 136 (99 percentile) (2.3 grade)
Spelling - 136 (99 percentile) (2.1 grade)
Writing Samples - 125 (95 percentile) (1.7 grade)
Academic Skills - 144 (99.8 percentile) (2.5 grade)
Academic Applications - 132 (98 percentile) (1.9 grade)

- WIAT-III at age 8.3

Sentence Composition - 129 (97 percentile) (8.9 grade)
Numerical Operations - 115 (71 percentile) (4 grade)
Math Fluency - Addition - 115 (84 percentile) (5.1 grade)
Math Fluency - Subtraction - 122 (93 percentile) (5.5 grade)
Spelling - 124 (95 percentile) (5.4 grade)

- GORT-IV at age 8.3

Reading Rate - 16 (98 percentile) (7 grade)
Reading Accuracy - 16 (98 percentile) (7 grade)
Reading Fluency - 17 (99 percentile) (7 grade)
Reading Comprehension - 13 (84 percentile) (4.7 grade)
Oral Reading Quotient - 130 (98 percentile)

- School also did some achievement testing at age 8.1, but results were not given to me. School claims that vocabulary scores were low, and that most scores were average, except for math, which was higher.

Drago's Mom

Drago - age 8, male, something else in a funny way!