How common is emotional hypersensitivity in gifted children?

My DD7 is hypersensitive and this has always been a challenge for her and us. To date she has only been able to finish one G-rated Disney movie. She has missed birthday parties and sleepovers because of movies. In 1st grade we had to arrange to have her excused from movie day after some traumatic experiences. The tone we got from her teacher implied we were doing something wrong as parents.

We worried we were sheltering her too much, but time and again even on light children's TV if there was a bully or a mildly intense situation DD would literally be writhing on the couch, turning sideways or almost upside down and we'd have to stop the show. We have always answered most of her endless questions but rationality does not tame the intensity yet.

I believe she inherited this as I was and am this way too. Scenes or emotional situations others would consider normal make me physically writhe and want to turn away or close my eyes, and I'm not talking intense scenes. It's literally a physical reaction. Awkward to admit but I think it's relevant here because I have not "outgrown" it.

This has also become a challenge with reading because her lexile score places her several grades higher, but she tends to stick with material half her score because it's safe. In fact I don't quite understand her high lexile score considering most of what she has read at home has been Highlights magazine and books like the Rainbow fairy series.

She did read Stuart Little the other night and liked it. I've got Charlotte's Web and Wizard of Oz lined up. I really want her to read Alice in Wonderland because she adores wit and wordplay, but it might be too dark and violent.

I certainly don't want to hold her back but I realize this is a real issue so any insights or tips from parents who have been in this situation much appreciated!

Last edited by Pru; 03/25/11 10:52 AM.