Braedan's mom, um. A lot of kids are into lego's now and that builds up to other stuff like robotics. There's even clubs and competitions. I might start a chapter for my kid when he starts school. www.starfall.com has up to second grade reading prep. It's popular and free. Fatbrain toys online has a nice selection of thought-provoking toys. I think family game night board games by hasbro are enriching. They have counting, thinking, following directions, and family conversations. Right now we like dominos and UNO best.
For a book I like "Smart Boys" as a good parenting read. I need to get "Smart Girls" because I just had a daughter. Actually I feel more qualified to raise a daughter. I'm glad I read "Smart Boys".
I'm enriching my preschooler right now with cursive lessons from handwriting without tears brand workbook and teachers book. It's very satisfying. Right now he's tracing to memorize the patterns of correct cursive.
Sorry you didn't get into the school you wanted.

If you want more suggestions let me know. We'll talk.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar